How long does it take to build a Voron?

Demosth

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I spent about 3 weekends building my 2.4 350. I built my own wiring harness and crimped every one of those stupid little pins, do yourself a favor and get a harness. I also built mine with several mods preinstalled and that added quite a bit of time to the intial klipper config for me. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I am probably 20 hours into the build. I am working on the electronics now. I found this site due to needing a din rain mount for my big tree 1.1 board. The printed parts kit I got off Etsy didn't provide a mount for this. I will look at getting this printed locally ( I don't have another printer). This is actually my first printer/ and build. I am very mechanically inclined and am a mech engineer by trade. The build is no different than some of the large equipment I work on for work. Only difference is that this machine isn't controlled by Siemens PLC's.  

I found the voron documentation to be decent but confusing at times. I am glad the the CAD file of the entire build is available. This was helpful in figuring out the parts of the build that the manual 'skipped' over. The youtube builds from Dr. D Flow and steve builds have been a great resource as well. 

I got a kit from Digital Machinery. The parts have been decent, but I ended up going to my local industrial hardware store to pick up extra fasteners. I managed to find an R pi from a store back east. I have already installed mainsail and loaded the generic printer.cfg to it. 

• Like 1

@concentric_killa What parts of the build were the most difficult - and what videos helped you through that?

This is the first I have heard of someone purchasing a kit through https://store.digmach.com/ - What was your overall experience like? It would be great to do a "Seller Review" as a new topic and share your feedback with the community!

2 hours ago, Demosth said:

@concentric_killa What parts of the build were the most difficult - and what videos helped you through that?

This is the first I have heard of someone purchasing a kit through https://store.digmach.com/ - What was your overall experience like? It would be great to do a "Seller Review" as a new topic and share your feedback with the community!

I will do a writeup about the kit. The response was quick from digmach. I didn't take any pictures of the packaging. I probably should have, but up until the other day I wasn't a member on this site. 

I was interested in a US based supplier as I didn't want to deal with AliExpress. I almost went with formbot. They were somewhat quick to respond as well. After I gave the guys at digimach my config (350 size) they sent me an invoice.  I paid it within hours of receiving and then I got a tracking # within 5 days (they mentioned this up front). 

I will have to come up with my list of sections that were confusing about the build (I probably have several examples). It really comes down to minor details. The Voron manual is probably the best set of instructions that I have seen in a while. I think some extra views here and there would go a long way.  Honestly the Steve Builds live stream videos were helpful . They are quite long but you can easily skip through to sections.  

The parts I ordered off Etsy were in decent shape/ quality. The seller did send me four of the z motor b housings when I only needed two. I am currently waiting on the two 'a' housings. So my build is mostly done. I have two z motors to mount when I finally get the correct parts. 

The seller off Etsy didn't include a mount for my octopus 1.1 control board. So I am waiting on a local print shop to give me a quote. After 30 min of googling I found the right din rail mount for the 1.1 board. GitHub has like 5 different .stl models for the various board configurations. 

I am new to 3d printing but not to Cad or CNC. I am looking forward to completing this build and getting to the Mainsail configuration.. 

If I had another printer I could have bypassed some of these hiccups. I'm in the mindset of buy once, cry once. I didn't want to waste my money on a $300 printer. I know what I am getting myself into. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I ordered the Formbot kit for my Trident (350x350) on 1/11, and then while I was waiting for it to arrive, I immediately started printing all of the parts on my CR10S in FormFutura TitanX ABS. I also started reading everything I could about the build, while waiting for the kit....This is the first 3D printer that I have ever built.

The kit was delivered on 1/26, right as I was printing up the last few parts. I finished the build, and ran my first Benchy, on 2/4, so, ten days total to build it, working on it part time during the day as time allowed, and in the evenings.

I also incorporated the Clockwork2 Extruder, and Steathburner (still in Beta). I used a Phaetus Dragon High Flow hot end.

I should add, that I did spend the extra $ for the premade wiring harness, which IMHO, was definitely worth it, in terms of time saved. I had minimal connections to crimp (up at the toolhead) with MicroFit 3.0 connectors.

.RSW2Trident_2_4_22.thumb.jpg.e5b4374bcc9b7cb83d67d76c0a6a84a9.jpg

• Voron FTW! 1

32 minutes ago, Rwhite692 said:

The kit was delivered on 1/26, right as I was printing up the last few parts. I finished the build, and ran my first Benchy, on 2/4, so, ten days total to build it, working on it part time during the day as time allowed, and in the evenings.

If you had to guess, how many total hours would you estimate is wrapped up into part-time evenings 😄 ?

Usually after working with the kids on homework and getting them off to bed, maybe 3-4 hours on a good night.... Definitely, preparation and organization for the build is key, especially when printing all of your own parts. I used a spreadsheet that a helpful Voron contributor had made, to track and check-off, and then would bag-and-tag all of the individual parts, as I got them completed. This also had the added benefit of me seeing and understanding all of the parts, as I was printing them, as opposed to just buying a set of pre-printed parts....

I had no problems at all with my kit or the purchase experience. However I personally would not build from a kit if I was doing it again. It is so much easier to self source now than it was even 6-8 months ago. My next build I will just buy parts and pieces from smaller vendors in the usa and Canada. I have great experience buying from places like printed solid and kb3d so I will just buy everything from them. 

4 minutes ago, joshman1204 said:

I had no problems at all with my kit or the purchase experience. However I personally would not build from a kit if I was doing it again. It is so much easier to self source now than it was even 6-8 months ago. My next build I will just buy parts and pieces from smaller vendors in the usa and Canada. I have great experience buying from places like printed solid and kb3d so I will just buy everything from them. 

I agree, if (when?) I build another one, now that I have done this one from the Formbot kit, I will probably self-source all of the BOM items, for the next one. But this Kit certainly did make the experience painless and frustration-free, as it was my first full 3d printer build.

15 minutes ago, RoyDuggan said:

I am new here and just planning to start a 2.4 350 build would you recommend the kit that you used?

I built the Formbot kit for the Trident 350x350, so I can only speak to the quality/organization/completeness of that particular kit, which was extremely good and actually exceeded my expectations.