Hiya!!!!

AdmiralJohn

Hi there!

I'm a 51-year old grandfather of two living about 10 miles outside of Binghamton, NY. I've been into 3D printing for about two years, migrating in that time from an Ender 3 Pro to my current Prusa MK3S+, Kobra Max and two resin printers. 🙂

I currently have the MK4 upgrade kit on order but I'm now debating cancelling it and purchasing either the
Qidi Tech - X-PLUS 3 or a Voron 2.4 R2 kit. 

So any advice one way or the other anyone wants to sling my way I'm welcome to. 🙂

Jokes aside, the X-Plus is a printer while the 2.4 is a project. Not quite the same.

The Voron looks likr an amazing printer but looks a bit intimidating. 

I guess my main concern is the complexity of the build... I build my Prusa, I can change brakes on a car, I've installed ceiling fans, repaired my pellet stove and my furnace. I also work in IT; I've build computers for years and spent three years of my career working as a Desktop Support tech, fixing PCs and the like. 

Can I assume that the experience I have should make a Voron withing my capabilities to build? And quality-wise, I imagine the Voron will take some work to get tuned in (along the line of what you have to do with other printers initially) but once that's one the print quality is awesome?

Welcome to TeamFDM!

And thank you!!!

Edited by AdmiralJohn

If you are looking for a fun project that culminates in an awesome printer, then Voron is certainly a great choice. It's not an easy build but everything is very well documented and the community is available and enthusiast for helping getting you getting unstuck. I'd say go for it. The 2.4 is a really fine machine.

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum.

7 hours ago, AdmiralJohn said:

Can I assume that the experience I have should make a Voron withing my capabilities to build?

Well within your capabilities, I would suspect. It seems intimidating at first but it is a fun build and very gratifying in the end. All advise I have is go for it, use the forum for help and advice, but mostly - ENJOY

• Like 1

On 4/8/2023 at 3:34 PM, AdmiralJohn said:

The Voron looks likr an amazing printer but looks a bit intimidating. 

I guess my main concern is the complexity of the build... I build my Prusa, I can change brakes on a car, I've installed ceiling fans, repaired my pellet stove and my furnace. I also work in IT; I've build computers for years and spent three years of my career working as a Desktop Support tech, fixing PCs and the like. 

Can I assume that the experience I have should make a Voron withing my capabilities to build? And quality-wise, I imagine the Voron will take some work to get tuned in (along the line of what you have to do with other printers initially) but once that's one the print quality is awesome?

And thank you!!!

Welcome to the forum!

From that experience, yes, you can totally build a Voron!

• Like 1

Welcome and yes absolutely a Voron with your experience in 3d printing and maintaining those printers you'll enjoy putting a Voron together. Binghamton, NY has an awesome motocross track!

Edited by PFarm
  • Like 1

Welcome aboard, I might be a little late with my vote for "build a Voron" but build a Voron. It's definitiely worthwhile, they are excellent printers from the get-go and "when in need" there's plenty of help to be had here. You have definitely enough skill - if you can wrangle two grandkids then you're most of the way there.

31 minutes ago, smirk said:

Welcome aboard, I might be a little late with my vote for "build a Voron" but build a Voron. It's definitiely worthwhile, they are excellent printers from the get-go and "when in need" there's plenty of help to be had here. You have definitely enough skill - if you can wrangle two grandkids then you're most of the way there.

The consensus seems to be that I can handle it and I think I'd much rather get an open-source printer than something that's based on proprietary parts. 

So to that end I'm currently working through the checklist and printing the parts; once I have them done I'll order the kit. 🙂

• Like 2
  • Voron FTW! 3

You got some shoulders to cry on here, and we will help you on your way if needed, no worries.

Just take your time, watch and read some build diaries here, it will certainly help you. I woudnt choose to many mods from the start, just stick to basic and get that running first, mod later... this is fun also on the long run.

Enjoy the process, its a fun build, and when done with patience, very rewarding!

2 hours ago, AdmiralJohn said:

printing the parts

Forgot to say you really should consider printing the test pieces from the Voron github before print a whole load of parts just to make sure things are dialed in. I think perhaps also printing the A & B  guidler arms from the stealthburner is another good test as they're a really snug fit and need  things dialed in.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, smirk said:

Forgot to say you really should consider printing the test pieces from the Voron github before print a whole load of parts just to make sure things are dialed in. I think perhaps also printing the A & B  guidler arms from the stealthburner is another good test as they're a really snug fit and need  things dialed in.

Oooo, thank you for that.:) I'll print those when my next batch is done. Thankfully I'm not too far into the process of printing parts in case something does need to be tweaked.