Worst belt fail ever ?

mvdveer

Wondered why my prints slowly started going to something resembling trash on the rubbish heap. Found the culprit:

IMG_4076.thumb.jpeg.413febd05ec49687cf7f8151b0c533ed.jpeg   IMG_4077.thumb.jpeg.f4444251c1e0f1c7bafa735b94e50d67.jpeg  IMG_4078.thumb.jpeg.21b60328e78c8212757614a2f1f2d173.jpeg

Cause: The Voron logo I printed and mounted on the back of the chamber and the effect of heat over 1 year of printing ABS in a chamber of around 50 degrees Celsius. (Over 600hours print time) Since installing the Ellis Fan mod, the temp in the chamber reached up to 68C. This and the 3mm thickness of the logo and obviously the back panel expanding due to heat, caused the belts to rub and catch on the logo.

Needless to say - all replaced - now just need to tune again. Seems like a never ending circle.

Thought I might share another fail to help someone avoid this.

• Like 2

When I did print the logo too for the backplate, I changed it to 3mm foam, that helps to prevent this issue.

Right now I went with the aluminium layer plates with Voron logo's from Fermio, they are absolutely stunning.

Thanks for the share buddy!

7 minutes ago, mvdveer said:

I have 3mm foam all around - just the heat I think

I shoudnt have doubted that 😉 yeah, the plastic panels are not great... bottom one is also wanting to warp always, another reason to use the aluminium ones.. they dont do that.. and they are prettier.. but yeah, another 90 bucks..

58 minutes ago, Buurman said:

to use the aluminium ones.. they dont do that.. and they are prettier

I agree. Have actually taken the panel off and it is bowed towards the inside of the printer. Definitely not flat anymore

On 4/3/2023 at 4:43 AM, Buurman said:

When I did print the logo too for the backplate, I changed it to 3mm foam, that helps to prevent this issue.

Right now I went with the aluminium layer plates with Voron logo's from Fermio, they are absolutely stunning.

Thanks for the share buddy!

Built two 2.4 machines with composite aluminum panels from PrintedSolid - totally satisfied even after 1,000+ hrs and a Voron logo. And hey, my son-in-law hasn't managed to wreck the one I built him yet either!

• Like 1