The value of maintenance on your printer.

mvdveer

Build the first Voron 2.4 about a year ago. Other than small adjustments have not done much maintenance on it. Decided it was time I show this printer some attention. Surprised at the amount of bolts that were "loose". Most tightened by at least 90 degrees, some more. Re tightened the belts and removed the hotend to lube the X-axis linear rail carriage. This is what I found. Replaced them with stainless steel bolts. (Just as well I got a box of 100 M3x50's Stainless Steel - got a lot of stealth burners to build 😁)

IMG_4044.thumb.jpeg.6d256177feb0c12d6494752215e014e4.jpeg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mvdveer said:

Build the first Voron 2.4 about a year ago. Other than small adjustments have not done

Wow! A whole year without being modded?!

More seriously, it's a good reminder of the need for maintenance in any mechanical system (with movement). It is interesting to think that perhaps we "avoid" the need for maintenance for the very reason we generally are tinkering so much.

I am surprised at the state of the bolts, you living in a very humid environment?  Just curious, I know the power-coating can get stripped very easily buit I've not seen surface corrosion on any mild steel, unprotected ferrous surfaces i have lying around here (granted in doors) they'd dissolve if they were in the garage in this weather.

On 3/18/2023 at 4:39 AM, smirk said:

I am surprised at the state of the bolts, you living in a very humid environment? 

In one of @mvdveer's other posts he mentioned living in the "ass end of the world."   In that case, I am surprised those bolts look that good.  I mean, come on... Methane, sweat and other unmentionables.  😜

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1