Best alternative Raspberry pi4 (RPI4) with touchscreen for Klipper

Buurman

Question

Hi guys, since the RPI horror continues, at least for a couple of months (and I think longer) what is the best alternative.

I am using the 4" BTT touchscreen with the flatcable and most alternatives dont have this interface on the board.

But maybe there is a good alternative for the touchscreen also, since I think I have collected 100 duckies already from BTT anyhow.

I have tried/looked at:

1. BTT adapter for CM1/CM4 and tried the CM4 board (also not available anymore) but coudnt get it to boot.
  2. Orangepi 4 LTS 4Gb - 16GB - Still on the way, takes forever and is about 90 bucks, looks like having the MIP flatcable connectors.
  3. Asus Tinker Board - Cant remember had some issues while setting it up in KIAUH

Above board were chosen since they have the flatcable connector, but maybe there are other options.

Well, open to suggestions/ideas!

23 answers to this question

Yes, the manta board can hold a CB1 or CM4 onboard, but with the adapter, you can use it as a regular PI option.

No matter whats next to it.. I just coudnt get it to boot, maybe the CB4 is broken, I expect.. tried 2 adapters.. 

20230307_101731294_iOS.jpg

20230307_101737384_iOS.jpg

20230307_101747227_iOS.jpg

5 hours ago, mvdveer said:

What pi horror - anticipation, pre-planning, hoarding --Noooo

IMG_3930.thumb.jpeg.be290b13084992c18dbc828e5328ffd1.jpeg

Now that's just showing off! There's a fortune sitting there!

Yes, I AM jealous (hits F5 on rpi locator). I was observing the shortage with mostly detached interest, now I need CM4 for a different project. All I have "in stock" right now is a 3A+ for either a V0.2 or Rook project.

Ordered a OrangePi4LTS a few weeks ago and it arrived. well, thats the biggest challenge tackled I guess...

This seems to work nicely, just installed it with Debian (Bullseye) Server version. (there are also other versions and a desktop version. Go for Server.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1W0Bm-GGvVqgiDeSdEy_PSGlA23ahMGC6

Image it with BalenaEther on a SD (and yes, finish verification) and insert this in the OrangePI and power it up.
I temp use a USB C connector for it, but you need a 4.0mm/1.7mm plug if you want to power it by adapter and use the usb C for data transport to the Octopus.

So now its booting, I advise using a network cable, find the given IP in your router or other DHCP server.

SSH into it with default user/pass orangepi/orangepi

install KIAUH (install tool for 3d printer software, works amazing.

https://github.com/th33xitus/kiauh

Install 1,2,3 and 5 in my case...probably later also the Telegram bot, since its awesome.

Go to IP adres in browser and boom.. klipper!

• Like 4

I've got 4 OrangePi 3LTS your right a little more challenging to get it up and running. A nice feature is the EMMC that you can upload the SD card to then you no longer need the card to boot. Webcams are a little trickier to set up. Check out the Test Camera section of the manual. Also, HDMI is the default for display, so if you use the DSI connector for display, you can configure the pi for that.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, PFarm said:

sudo nand-sata-install, boot from EMMC, "warning overwrite" confirm, 1-ext4.

Could you beside this golden tip, also point in the direction of the touchscreen enablement on the display port?

1 hour ago, Buurman said:

And I am always doubting what way around to put in the flatcable into the slots.. pff. One side the display, other side the orange pi 🙈🙈

any tips would be good 😂

Sorry my mistake the DSI flat cable was for the CB1 and CM4 that I did on my Voron. Only HDMi is available on the OrangePi. Not sure if can re-dedicate the webcam slot for display doubt it since one is an input while the other is an output.

23 minutes ago, PFarm said:

Sorry my mistake the DSI flat cable was for the CB1 and CM4 that I did on my Voron. Only HDMi is available on the OrangePi. Not sure if can re-dedicate the webcam slot for display doubt it since one is an input while the other is an output.

Ah, yes the orangepi4lts has 2 webcam and 1 display port extra. Think I just put in the cable wrong, as happens often, should just write it down

On that topic, I´ve lost the sale of my Zero 3 times now once I´ve said that  to the prospective buyers that the pi wasn´t included.

From an old job project I happened to have 5 Pi3+ and 4 piscreens at home and I´ve not lived the drama yet, but I´m actually starting to experiment in an spare SD the idea of running 2 (or more) klippers and mainsails to control the 2 printers that are slaved in my Lak tower to free one of the Pi.

The most feasible (and striaghtforward) option I saw was getting a cheap ultrabook or micro PC and run multiple images of linux on it to control as many printers as you wish.

This is, however a patch as you lose the "standalone" feature of each printer working on its own without external hookups.

I am running an Orange Pi 3LTS in my Voron 2.4.  Considering I knew nothing about Linux, Klipper, or anything else, it really was not that hard to get running.  I utilized a dedicated monitor attached to the OPi via HDMI along with a keyboard and mouse.  Once I had OPi running, the first thing I did was get the WIFI connected to my home network.  This made setup much easier.

The Orange Pi touch screen  is an option but my search shows AliExpress stores that I don't have a lot of faith in.

Edited by 7milesup
  • Like 1

Had a strange issue with Klipprescreen not wanting to work at all after installation, manual or Kiuah .. just seeing the console.

Found.. eventually the solution, posting here for reference.

Typed:

systemctl status KlipperScreen

Returned:

Jan 16 13:51:58 fluiddpi KlipperScreen-start.sh[990]: Fatal server error:

Jan 16 13:51:58 fluiddpi KlipperScreen-start.sh[990]: (EE) xf86OpenConsole: Cannot open virtual console 2 (Permission denied)

Typed:

sudo bash -c "echo needs_root_rights=yes>>/etc/X11/Xwrapper.config"

Restarted and it started working again :).

• Like 1

Resurrecting some of this thread. Has there been any success in using the newer Opi 5b? Only reason I ask is I just like tinkering with new tech once in a while. Pricing is kinda salty though on the Opi 5's. Heck even the RPi 5's are cheaper than the Opi 5's, Wow Maybe I'll abandon trying to experiment since Rpi 4b's are easy to get again and known to work pretty much flawlessly for voron printers. 

@rceagle1a I have a OPi 5 that I ran klipper on my TronXY until I rebuilt it into a VZTrident. It worked well. I did have to order the OPi display mentioned previously in this thread. 
I still have it and it will be driving the custom ToolChanger I am about to start working on. I did not use KIUAH on it the first time around as I know my way around Linux since I work in it almost daily, but I don't see why KIAUH would be an issue. I have a little bit of time and might pull it out of the box of electronics sitting here waiting on my lazy butt to cut the extrusions to the proper lengths and tap them for bind-joints (the bind joints are what I hate to do) and see if I have any issues with KIAUH. 
If you are curious, I was running Ubuntu 22.04LTS Server on it when it was in service before.