HIWIN .. is it better??

Buurman

Question

16 answers to this question

9 hours ago, Buurman said:

I wonder... is replacing it with a high end HIWIN rail worth it?

Depends on how you define "worth". Speaking personally when funds are available I would always say go for a quality brand (misumi, hiwin) for linear rails. Granted they're not magic solutions (maintenance is still required) but it's just one less thing to have to worry about. I've had more bad experiences with non-brand rails than good ones, that issue I had the other week with the "tick tick tick" during z-homing I pretty much narrowed down to shonky (non-brand) rails (I clearly forgot I hadn't fitted HiWIN).

Besides, you're worth it......

1 hour ago, Buurman said:

feeling/hearing uncomfortable noise from the X rail when running it by hand

There is such a thing as "too clean" when it comes to bearings (and linear rails) noisy rails is definitely indicative of some issue; what lube are you using?

Hiwin is going to be flawless for sure but still needs the right lube. I like silicone bearing oil for my rails: the kind that's marketed for skateboard wheel bearings and if you want a super thin oil, get fishing reel silicone oil.

• Like 1

PTFE lube from Synco, the cheaper rail carts (cloned) ones dont have a injection hole (or they have the hole but it goes nowhere)

using the synco lube, never had a issue, but I just ordered WD40 PTFE lube, since you can inject that quite well, but Im afraid its a bit thin.

And yeah, I clean is, this one is even quite new... just under100 hours of printing.. but I need to take it apart anyhow, so will do another cleaning round and detail checkup.

And maybe replacement if needed.

2 minutes ago, Buurman said:

I think I have seen so many youtube stuff on lubrication but I think all of them advise it...

I also think you have the space for these "balls" (oh that sounds so wrong) in these rail setups.

My guess would be that when the grease dries out from being used, the ptfe beads will start clumping together and form ridges, like washboard on a gravel road.

But that just my intuition. I love silicone oil from when I was into RC cars many years ago. It was the best stuff by far for any high speed mechanical component.

10 hours ago, Simon2.4 said:

I love silicone oil from when I was into RC cars many years ago

What weight of silicone oil. 10WT, 221/2WT, 300WT?

Went to the local hobby shop and the choiches are overwhelming. The 10 seems runny and the 300 very sticky. All rated for gearboxes and diffs.

11 hours ago, Buurman said:

WD40 PTFE lube,

That's a dry lube isn't it?

Have always been using the Mobil grease but getting it to Ozzie is becoming very expensive. Want to give the silicone oil @Simon2.4 has mentioned as an alternative. Also read on the RatRig forums that 3in1 oil is recommended. They strongly advise against use of lubricants containing additives such as PTFE, Molybdenum,graphite and Boron Nitrate. Apparently they interfere with the tolerances of the rails - not that I understand this.

Maybe just go with HiWINN from the start - but that means extra cost if purchasing a kit. Have not seen this option on the Formbot site. LDO kits then......

9 hours ago, smirk said:

Besides, you're worth it......

Maybe it Maybelline? 😛 

7 hours ago, mvdveer said:

That's a dry lube isn't it?

It didnt say that, but looking on their website, it seems it is... confusing betweeen old and new packaging.. but in english it says dry lube, in Dutch it doesnt...

Maybe I should look at their Silicon version otherwise, I still have that somewhere..

Thanks for the checkup...

• Like 1

To add to the discussion.. I am not sure about silicone myself to be honest.. white lithium seems a better option to me than silicone, IF its not too thick.

Silicone is putting down almost a permanent layer and dont get it anywhere else, like on your bed, since nothing will ever stick to it anymore.. same for PTFE btw...

Nero is happy about white lithium and says he been running printers on it for many months.. but ok.. no experiences whatsoever here, besides my super lube PTFE.

Just looking for a good alternative.. or replacement really.

By HIWIN and others a grease is advised, NO PTFE (so that one goes into the garage) and not Silicone.

NLGI 00 000 grade grease with a lithium soap thickener

Like this (Dutch brand, Dutch website, Dutch everything)

https://www.oliehandel.nl/000-600gr-89687?gclid=Cj0KCQiA3eGfBhCeARIsACpJNU-AX9bVedDmKpWqyAAnka7FUtoLBJgCyjoit5ek3DUra5rC0-XB48EaAo76EALw_wcB#182=22

Thats a good size of grease for 10 bucks...

Mid thickness, and its greenish 😛 

20230225_183627443_iOS.jpg

And yeah, went for a HIWIN 40cm rail for X. feels incredibly solid... cleaned it yesterday, let it dry and greased it today with "hulk" grease...

• Like 1