Hot end temp for tap probe

Ducky4546

I just got Adaptive_bed_mesh and Purge working on my Cr6 which uses a nozzle probe just like tap. 

When my start code kicks things over to the Bed_Mesh_Calibrate command it turns off my hot end (set to 150 C previously in start code) but keeps my bed at constant temp.

Should I be keeping the hot end at a stable temp (150 C) now that I am running the the adaptive mesh, which takes a while (This was not an issue before when it just homed the bed quickly. But it did cut power to the hot end) 

• smirk changed the title to Hot end on or off with tap?
11 hours ago, Ducky4546 said:

When my start code kicks things over to the Bed_Mesh_Calibrate command it turns off my hot end (set to 150 C previously in start code) but keeps my bed at constant temp.

Add this to your superslicer Startup G-Code:

M140 S0
PRINT_START tool_temp=[first_layer_temperature] bed_temp=[first_layer_bed_temperature] CHAMBER=[chamber_temperature]

or

START_PRINT tool_temp=[first_layer_temperature] bed_temp=[first_layer_bed_temperature] CHAMBER=[chamber_temperature]

and in your PRINT_START or PRINT_START macro - whichever way it is named, the following code:

[gcode_macro START_PRINT]
gcode:
    #G32                            ; home all axes
    #G90                            ; absolute positioning
    #G1 Z20 F3000                   ; move nozzle away from bed
    BED_MESH_CLEAR
    G90                             ;Absolute positioning
    M117 Homing...
    G28                             ;Homes all the axis
    M117 Heating bed ......
    M140 S{params.BED_TEMP}         ;Heats the bed to the temperature obtained from the slicer
    M190 S{params.BED_TEMP}         ;Waits for the bed to reach temperature before running any other commands
    M109 S150                       ;Heats the nozzle to 150 in order to use TAP
    M117 Leveling Gantry ........
    QUAD_GANTRY_LEVEL               ;Levels the gantry
    BED_MESH_CALIBRATE              ; does a bed mesh and saves it as default for the current session
    M117 Loading Mesh ........
    BED_MESH_PROFILE Load=default   ;Loads the mesh - now has to be done explicitely, not automatically loaded anymore
    G0 X150 Y150 Z30 F3600          ;Moves to the centre of the bed
    M117 Heating Toolhead
    M104 S{params.TOOL_TEMP}        ;Heats the toolhead to the temp obtained from the slicer
    M109 S{params.TOOL_TEMP}        ;Waits for the toolhead to reach temperature before starting the print
    G90                             ;Absolute positining
    M117 Starting Print .......

This will set the hotend temperature at the start to 150 (M109 S150) ank keep it there untill all the tapping is done so the speak, then raise it to the temperature from your slicer ( M104 S{params.TOOL_TEMP} ), then wait till it reaches that temp before doing anything else ( M109 S{params.TOOL_TEMP} )

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Ducky4546 changed the title to Hot end temp for tap probe
57 minutes ago, Ducky4546 said:

sick 3year old

I remember those days (I miss the cartoons). Top tip - don't give them whisky and hot lemon that's not allowed these days (apparently it  wasn't really acceptable when grandma used to do it either)

• Haha 4

@mvdveer Well my Pi and or Moonraker were stuck in Iimbo this morning.....I updated things in KIUAH and now it finally came back online. What is the best way to back up or clone the Pi image incase my SD card is crapping out (It was running oddly slow)?

Back to the heater topic this is the end of my start code its sets the extruder Temp with M109 to 150c, Then runs a display Msg. and "bed_mesh_calibrate"  Should I be using M104 instead (Only difference this does not wait for stable temp)?

# Heating nozzle to 150 degrees. This helps with getting a correct Z-home
  SET_DISPLAY_TEXT MSG="Hotend: 150c"          # Displays info
  M109 S150                                    # Heats the nozzle to 150c

#  Uncomment for bed mesh (2 of 2)
  SET_DISPLAY_TEXT MSG="Bed mesh"    # Displays info
  #STATUS_MESHING                    # Sets SB-leds to bed mesh-mode

bed_mesh_calibrate                 # Starts bed mesh  

# Heats up the nozzle up to target via data from slicer
  SET_DISPLAY_TEXT MSG="Hotend: {target_extruder}c"             # Displays info
  # STATUS_HEATING                                                # Sets SB-leds to heating-mode

G1 X{x_wait} Y{y_wait} Z15 F9000                              # Goes to center of the bed
  M107                                                          # Turns off partcooling fan
  M109 S{target_extruder}                                       # Heats the nozzle to printing temp

1 hour ago, smirk said:

I remember those days (I miss the cartoons). Top tip - don't give them whisky and hot lemon that's not allowed these days (apparently it  wasn't really acceptable when grandma used to do it either)

Nobody said you had to stop watching them. 😜 < looks over at DVD/BR shelf with plenty of "cartoons" >

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Ducky4546 said:

What is the best way to back up or clone the Pi image incase my SD card is crapping out (It was running oddly slow)?

I am a renegade and use a mac osx. I back up my configs with Cyberduck which has a sync function as well. (One way sync selected from pi to back up folder on NAS) There is a windows version - just checked.

I know windows users uses putty. That mayhave a similar function.

9 minutes ago, mvdveer said:

Cyberduck

Yeah I guess I could just copy all the files I'm an FTP program. I've been using https://filezilla-project.org/ I'll try cyber duck again it's been a while since I used it.

I found a way to do it thru GIT Hub here. I'll play with on my spare printer before I wipe the whole thing out. (Dam mech guy playing with code hahah) 

https://lazarofilm.gitbook.io/3d-printing/creating-a-github-backup-for-klipper

Edited by Ducky4546
  • Like 1

be using M104 instead

Not at that point no. It is only to partially heat the hotend. A stable bed is more important than hotend. The only reason I do it, is to speed up heating the hotend after all the routines.

You should however, add a M104 S{target_extruder} after this section to prevent the printer trying to start a print before the hotend reaches temperature as it would most likely throw an error.

G1 X{x_wait} Y{y_wait} Z15 F9000                              # Goes to center of the bed
  M107                                                          # Turns off partcooling fan
  M109 S{target_extruder}                                       # Heats the nozzle to printing temp

Thus:

G1 X{x_wait} Y{y_wait} Z15 F9000                              # Goes to center of the bed
  M107                                                          # Turns off partcooling fan
  M109 S{target_extruder}                                       # Heats the nozzle to printing temp 
  M104 S{target_extruder}                                       #Waits for nozzle to reach temperature defined in slicer

Hope this helps

• Like 1

8 hours ago, claudermilk said:

Nobody said you had to stop watching them

I think it's when I hum the "My Little Ponies" theme tune (then agonise over the existential crisis that poor Fluttershy is dealing with, I mean I have a hard enough time building a V0 with my fat sausage fingers how would they manage with hooves?!?) that disturbs people.....

• Haha 3

14 hours ago, smirk said:

I think it's when I hum the "My Little Ponies" theme tune (then agonise over the existential crisis that poor Fluttershy is dealing with, I mean I have a hard enough time building a V0 with my fat sausage fingers how would they manage with hooves?!?) that disturbs people.....

That's a feature, not a bug.

You have heard of "Bronies," right?

• Haha 2

22 hours ago, mvdveer said:

Cyberduck

Yeah I guess I could just copy all the files I'm an FTP program. I've been using https://filezilla-project.org/ I'll try cyber duck again it's been a while since I used it.

I found a way to do it thru GIT hub here. I'll play with on my spare printer before I wipe the whole thing out. (Dam mech guy playing with code hahah) 

https://lazarofilm.gitbook.io/3d-printing/creating-a-github-backup-for-klipper

As to saving  your profile "In case of emergencies break glass" moments, I use github. I have a nightly cron job setup that pushes my configuration to github. I use one repo for each printer (all four of them). So I have a copy of every change I've ever made (just in case). There are lots of videos/pages on how to do that. Just search "how to backup klipper configs to github" for direction. One added benefit: I separate all my macros into "macros.cfg" and eliminate any machine-specific code using parameters and gcode variables. This allows me to make one change and distribute macros to all my printers. Take a look at Ellis's Useful macros on https://ellis3dp.com/ to get ideas.

Edited by billbr
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, billbr said:

I use one repo for each printer

That is some good advice. I just got a second CR6 setup on Klipper and in all my copy and pasting I broke both start codes some either in Klipper or Prusia. Do you have any words of wisdom on the slicer side of things? I currently upload from Prussia to Klipper Via the physical printer menu

@Ducky4546, I've been thinking about pushing copies of my profiles, but haven't done it yet. It would work the same way except I would need to use a 
scheduled program on Windows for my slicing system.  I use git from windows a lot, so it wouldn't be that big of a deal to do it. Windows even has a new automation tool that would let it start up the slicer and export the profiles using the application menus. The old scheduled program system just does a time-based command.

I use direct slicer to printer control. It's very handy. Setting up Prusa/SuperSlicer is easy and gives you the upload/upload and print after slicing. One of my printers is a Prusa, so it all works well. I tend to use SuperSlicer for Vorons and PrusaSlicer for the MKS3 (just cause my profiles are better in SuperSlicer for the Voron) 

I highly recommend going through the Andrew Ellis tuning process. It takes some time investment but is well worth it. 

Edited by billbr
I can't type worth a darn

This post was fortuitous because I too am having issues with the sequence of nozzle heating, probing and printing.  As usual, @mvdveer has come through on enlightening us mere mortals.  😉

Sidebar:  Is there a good source for understanding the syntax of the g-code that is utilized in our printers, along with a list of codes?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 7milesup said:

This post was fortuitous because I too am having issues with the sequence of nozzle heating, probing and printing.  As usual, @mvdveer has come through on enlightening us mere mortals.  😉

Sidebar:  Is there a good source for understanding the syntax of the g-code that is utilized in our printers, along with a list of codes?

This is a simple explanation of G-Codes in general and here is a list of all codes from reprap. Just remember, not all G-Codes translate in klipper (see here) and some require a macro to tell klipper what to do.

• Like 1