Klipper in a duet2 wifi

Maurici

On 4/28/2023 at 6:48 PM, linuxguygary said:

Just to be clear,   Is there no method to connect the Paneldue using the connection s on the Duet board?   So the only way is connected to the R-pi  via GPIO  or Serial TTY adapter as Nero3D shows his video?

This is, so far..  correct!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

just came across this topic, i just want to share my experience with a Duet3 mini that was collecting dust for ages, i successfully and easily flashed the board with Klipper and even connected it to my stealthburner running CanBus, it's delicious!! Working like a charme.

Attached is the compiled firmware (canbus) which works as normal as well if you want to connect the toolhead in a standard way.

Just run "  ~/klippy-env/bin/python ~/klipper/scripts/canbus_query.py can0 " rather than  "ls -l /dev/serial/by-id/" to find the board ID.

You will need Bossa flash programmer to flash the board with a .bin file, for the life of me, i wasn't able to convert the .bin file in UF2 for the drag and drop as much as i tried.

Maybe someone more capable than me will.

PS. the Processor chosen for the Duet3 mini is not the recommended, i used the SAM54, which will give the CanBus option to be available.

Cheers.

DUET3 Mini Klipper Canbus.jpg

SAM_54.bin

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Been beating my face against this for hours now, my pi cannot seem to see the Duet 2 board anymore.  I fallowed the instructions and at first it worked, but now:

Ellie@raspberrypi:~ $ ls /dev/serial/by-id/*
ls: cannot access '/dev/serial/by-id/*': No such file or directory

I can install firmware using BOSSA, so I went through steps to Make menuconfig and Make, grabbed the file and flashed it directly from my PC with BOSSA and I still have no luck.  I have tried a few images on the pi and I have tried two different pis.  I know the cable works because it connects from the PC to the Duet 2.  

Im open to suggestions.  

Turns out it was the freaking cable.... Idk how, it worked from the PC to the Duet, but not from the Pi to the Duet.  

Edited by TheJoe90

5 hours ago, TheJoe90 said:

Turns out it was the freaking cable.... Idk how, it worked from the PC to the Duet, but not from the Pi to the Duet.  

I had a similar problem reprogramming the PanelDue to work with Klipper. The USB I have between the pi and Duet wouldn't let my PC see the PanelDue, but a different cable worked. 

What printer is this for out of curiosity? 

1 hour ago, MrSprinklz said:

I had a similar problem reprogramming the PanelDue to work with Klipper. The USB I have between the pi and Duet wouldn't let my PC see the PanelDue, but a different cable worked. 

What printer is this for out of curiosity? 

That strange cable issue cost me HOURS. I knew it worked for data lol, so it had to be the pi or the duet right? Wrong. 

This is an old Folgertech FT-5 I bought used and modified. 

I have Klipper working now but I need to setup the printer config file. Trying to figure out the MCU Pinout is difficult, it seems like everything I find links to a site that is down now. Don't suppose you still have it?

I tried the two example configs but they were giving me issues, so far only the heated bed and extruder heaters are working. 

Finishing the config is this morning's project =]

On 3/15/2024 at 11:16 AM, TheJoe90 said:

That strange cable issue cost me HOURS. I knew it worked for data lol, so it had to be the pi or the duet right? Wrong. 

I have Klipper working now but I need to setup the printer config file. Trying to figure out the MCU Pinout is difficult, it seems like everything I find links to a site that is down now. Don't suppose you still have it?

I tried the two example configs but they were giving me issues, so far only the heated bed and extruder heaters are working. 

If you manage to get a good file made for the FT-5 I just happen to have acquired one about 2 weeks ago I am doing the same thing with. if your still has the standard xy motion system any you get  a  good config file going it would be helpful to me as mine happens to have a duet 2 and for the life of me after I got the z moving without binding I came to another Issue of insane over extrusion, and since I cant access the octopi setup that is on the pi it came with and whatever codes I enter into the console refuse to save and transfer into a print I decide it was getting a change to a firmware that i can just adjust the config files for directly without having to use g code or re-flash. 

11 hours ago, DragonfireFX said:

If you manage to get a good file made for the FT-5 I just happen to have acquired one about 2 weeks ago I am doing the same thing with. if your still has the standard xy motion system any you get  a  good config file going it would be helpful to me as mine happens to have a duet 2 and for the life of me after I got the z moving without binding I came to another Issue of insane over extrusion, and since I cant access the octopi setup that is on the pi it came with and whatever codes I enter into the console refuse to save and transfer into a print I decide it was getting a change to a firmware that i can just adjust the config files for directly without having to use g code or re-flash. 

# This file is an example config file for cartesian style printers.# One may c - Pastebin.com

My macros are still a work in progress, but I hope this saves you some time!  I dont really know what I am doing, so that config is MESSY.  

Got the Paneldue, bltouch, adaptive mesh, and improved cooling working.  Setting this machine up for a less technical friend, so Im trying to make it as user friendly as possible =]

Waiting on the Pi Cam, need to reverse the cooling and the BLtouch or make a spacer for the X endstop, and for now I am powering the PI off the hookup that is intended for the PanelDue, but that is causing the PI to complain about low voltage.  Just a few things left to finetune.  

On 3/15/2024 at 12:16 PM, TheJoe90 said:

Ah, I am working with a Modix Big-60 V4. Very different machine.

On 3/15/2024 at 12:16 PM, TheJoe90 said:

I had to splice about 3 configs together along with some rewiring of endstops and such to get everything working on mine. A few months later I was trying to update the pi when my SD card got corrupted and I lost all of my work. I got new klipper config files from a group of Modix users on Facebook and it's back up and running. I just need to retune PA/EM/speeds

On 3/18/2024 at 11:23 AM, MrSprinklz said:

I had to splice about 3 configs together along with some rewiring of endstops and such to get everything working on mine. A few months later I was trying to update the pi when my SD card got corrupted and I lost all of my work. I got new klipper config files from a group of Modix users on Facebook and it's back up and running. I just need to retune PA/EM/speeds

I've been backing things up religiously now lol. 

How did you decide to power the pi off of the duet? I used some GPIO jumpers to go from the paneldue power to the GPIO pins on the pi but I'm getting low voltage warnings. 

1 hour ago, TheJoe90 said:

I've been backing things up religiously now lol. 

I setup the klipper github backup macro to avoid this problem in the future.

1 hour ago, TheJoe90 said:

How did you decide to power the pi off of the duet? I used some GPIO jumpers to go from the paneldue power to the GPIO pins on the pi but I'm getting low voltage warnings. 

I'm not 😅 I have a pi wall plug supply for power. You could also get a small 5V PSU like the Meanwell RS-25-5 or the 5V Buck Converter off the Voron V0 BOM if you want to avoid the low voltage errors

On 3/18/2024 at 11:23 AM, MrSprinklz said:

Honestly, I agree this is an absolutely crappy situation.   If I was to do this, I would definitely do an install, get it to a baseline running situation and make a baseline backup of the sd card on a different computer, then do the optimizations and if it’s good and gives the results you are wishing then make another backup.     That way you can get back up and running if your sd cards should corrupt within an hour vs trying to finger it all out from scratch again.       

19 hours ago, Marty said:

Honestly, I agree this is an absolutely crappy situation.   If I was to do this, I would definitely do an install, get it to a baseline running situation and make a baseline backup of the sd card on a different computer, then do the optimizations and if it’s good and gives the results you are wishing then make another backup.     That way you can get back up and running if your sd cards should corrupt within an hour vs trying to finger it all out from scratch again.       

I learned my lesson, I now have a backup saved both to github and my local computer.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/18/2024 at 2:23 PM, MrSprinklz said:

@MrSprinklz How has the Modix V4 conversion gone? I assume no IDEX? We have the exact machine here at work and the duet has been causing nothing but problems for us in terms of wifi connection (mainly) and endstop issues. 

Regards, 

Edited by Fickert
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Fickert said:

How has the Modix V4 conversion gone? I assume no IDEX? We have the exact machine here at work and the duet has been causing nothing but problems for us in terms of wifi connection (mainly) and endstop issues. 

The conversion has been fine, no IDEX, and no endstop problems. I did have to change where some things were plugged in on the Duet boards, lost auto z-offset capability (at least for now, haven't looked into it really), and I had issues getting the paneldue to the correct firmware revision to work with klipper. My main issue is z-offset, but I think I just need to delete the current one and do PROBE_CALIBRATE over again. I had the same issue on my 2.4 and that fixed it. Otherwise, it runs pretty well. I use QGL for bed levelling like a reverse Voron 2.4, you could use bed tilt like a 4 screw trident.

Anybody tried to flash klipper to the duet2 using new Raspbian 12? Or, still need to do it using raspbian 10?Anybody tried to flash klipper to the duet2 using new Raspbian 12? Or, still need to do it using raspbian 10?

4 hours ago, apak said:

Anybody tried to flash klipper to the duet2 using new Raspbian 12? Or, still need to do it using raspbian 10?Anybody tried to flash klipper to the duet2 using new Raspbian 12? Or, still need to do it using raspbian 10?

On 3/4/2024 at 1:03 PM, MrSprinklz said:

Update for March 2024: This now works with Raspbian 12 (Bookworm), otherwise same procedure.

^^^^^ Raspbian 12 works just fine