Hello from California

Rb87

Hey there,

I’m a moderately happy Voron 2 owner (was a fun pandemic project to replace my old MendelMax 2.0).  Moving from PLA to ABS has been awesome, but now I want to make my ABS prints even better. (Next I’ll probably develop a desire to print even higher temperature plastics). I look forward to trying out some of the mods I see people discussing in this forum. 

• Like 1

Happy to welcome you here! Keep us informed of your successes and (unfortunate but inevitable) failures. We're all here learning wherever we can. As for me, I was running with a Tap tool head for a few weeks but ran into too many issues with wire breakage so I went back to straight up StealthBurner and am getting back up online.

All the best!

4 hours ago, Rb87 said:

but now I want to make my ABS prints even better

You have obvioously heard of the Andrew Ellis tuning guide. If not, would highly recommend you start there in tuning for ABS. The Voron TAP is one of those dividing mods. Either you love it or you hate it. I converted my 2.4r2 from Euclid probe to TAP and have not looked back, therefor on my current Trident build, I went straight for the TAP. I am using the optical sensor way whilst @Buurman is a great believer in less electronics and using Untap option. The choice is yours, have a read of other's experience and then do what is best for you. But of one thing I am sure - you will enjoy this journey.

@mvdveer I transformed back to trustful klicky yesterday, I’m surprised how fast it was to switch it around.

I still think Tap is good, I just ran into some printing issues and wanted to rule out the tap. Also, untap I don’t fully trust with not enough magnetism to really pull the sb back in place, but this may be the same for all tap versions. Also measuring with the nozzle has disadvantages I didn’t think about before, the cold probing doesn’t feel right to me (yet). But I’ll get back to tap for sure.

klicky I trust and is way faster starting a print, so went back to that for a while.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Buurman said:

klicky I trust and is way faster starting a print, so went back to that for a while.

Yep, new is not always better. There is truth in the saying "If it ain't broken, then don't fix it"

1 minute ago, mvdveer said:

There is truth in the saying "If it ain't broken, then don't fix it"

Very true, yet... some people cant help to want to try every new thing out there 😛 

But yesterday I had a day where I hated those decisions, when you just need to print something... and cant get it right...

In the end that seemed to have something to do with dust and moist in my filament I think, or my PEI plate. I have a bathroom renovation going on and because of that dust just seems to sneak in (one floor up, closed doors) since I see dust powder on my filament (ABS mostly) dont see it anywhere else...

Strange stuff... 

16 minutes ago, Buurman said:

In the end that seemed to have something to do with dust and moist in my filament I think

That will do it. I bought a couple of Sunlu filament dryers to prepare the filament if it has been out in the open for too long. Set the dryer to 36 degrees and keep the filament in there whilst the chamber heats oaks. Seems to work ok.

image.thumb.jpeg.abebc14e09aa7d1954f4e97b17d6a4c4.jpeg

6 hours ago, mvdveer said:

I bought a couple of Sunlu filament dryers

hahahaha, like the devil knows, I ordered the S2 of this one yesterday! should be here today.

Sorry for going off topic a lot... that just my enthousiasme..  Welcome to the team mr California! 😉

• Like 1

17 hours ago, claudermilk said:

There is a seemingly infinite supply of mods to try out on the V2, so that will keep you busy for good long while.

Some of them are even useful 😛 hahaha! the default build is ok, but yes, mods make it a beast!