Pin out Molex

Stadi

Question

After getting an error a few times when using the Klicky Probe, I came to the conclusion that I have a loose contact on the Molex connector on the PCB. Apparently the crimping is bad. The question now is how do I get this single pin out of the connector. I found pinning tools online that look like a single sheet metal strip. I did not find any instructions or a video. From the Logick ago there should be two Strips since the crimp inserts also have two hooks or am I wrong?

pinning tool

I don't want to re-crimp the whole Connector

6 answers to this question

Guess it might come to a balance between economics and ease, whether you get a tool or simply cut off the entire connector and start again.

I'm having a senior moment and thinking "molex?" and at the moment I can only think of ones used in computer systems, so forgive me but the notion is probably the same:

molex2.thumb.jpg.3f267a716935b5d105896b067e075e08.jpg

The little barbs on the connectors will catch against the plastic inside the "tubes" of the connector. Those thin metal strip tools will insert up into the molex connector (in the same way/direction as you would insert the other connector) and push down the barbs allowing the individual connector to then slip past the plastic which is blocking it from coming out. It is probably sensible to push the wire (attached to the connector you want to remove) further into the connector - basically so you're pushing the barbs as far past the plastic block as possible - when you're inserting the thin tool.

If you were lucky enough not to have used all the other connectors on  the molex (unlikely) then you could've simply chopped the wire and reconnected it via the free connector. Guess even bodgier would be to snip the single wire and use a single connector for it alone. As I say that would be a real lumpy bodge but guess it depends on how much you don't want to recrimp the whole connector and/or buy an expensive thin bit of metal.

Looking at that "pinning tool" (might just be Farnell have a rubbish picture) but it strikes me as a faff as you'd need to muck about inserting twice to push down each barb separately. If you have a thin tube of metal just big enough to slip over the metal connector then than would push down both barbs simultaneously.

• Like 1

Molex MicroFit3. Not quite those PC power connectors, but the pins lock in the same way. I've used a pin stolen from my wife's sewing kit, but what's even better is a cell phone sim card eject tool. It's not as easy as the official Molex tool, but I can't see spending $100 on a simple metal pin.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, claudermilk said:

I've used a pin stolen from my wife's sewing kit

Wife: Why the hell are all my pins blunt (and bent)?!
Husband: Oh, I don't know dear, might be oxidation or nucleotide decay, something like that......

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, claudermilk said:

...... I've used a pin stolen from my wife's sewing kit.....

You are a very brave man 🤣

4 hours ago, claudermilk said:

... but what's even better is a cell phone sim card eject tool. It's not as easy as the official Molex tool, but I can't see spending $100 on a simple metal pin.

That was the key clue. A long time ago I bought a set of needles for pinning out car plugs for less than 10€. The needles are relatively easy to get into the connector to unlock the contacts.

20230109_185736.jpg

• Like 3