Hello from Canada

cobretti

Too many hobbies is my story - I was off for a few days and too be honest I can't even remember what led me to the Voron. Next thing I know I am caught in a losing battle trying to convince myself not to get sucked in....

Naturally I lost as I am now waiting for parts to arrive for a 2.4R2 😂 Chose the self source path as I like a bit of a challenge and selecting my own options.

Hope to follow the threads to get a head start on preparation as I am back to work tomorrow (which means a slow build) 😢

Happy New Year to all!

• Voron FTW! 1

Happy New Year and welcome to the forum. Like all of us - sucked into the Voron eco system. And I am sure it won't stop at the 2.4 either. 😁 Going the hard way by self sourcing but also the the better way in the sense you have the choice of the quality of parts you order. My first Voron 2.4r2 V0.1 and Switchwwire were all self sourced. Since then I have build a kit V0.1 and another self sourced V0.1. Currently printing parts to build a Trident - Formbot Kit. Kits are much easier and cheaper in this post Covid environment. Also a lot faster in getting all the components. Quality generally good, not the best, but not to shabby either.

Lots of good threads on the V2.4r2. @Buurman has done a very comprehensive build diary  and is a master in building 2.4's - feel free to browse his current build. @smirk has a load of good advice when it comes to the electronics and general Voron related issues.  @claudermilk's threads will give you lots of tips on macro's and great LED effects.  And may other contributors - a very good thread on utilising CanBus technology and all the headaches that can cause. Luckily the solutions to the headaches are also in these threads. 

This thing called work ALWAYS gets in the way of play, yet we all would love to see a build diary, even a slow on - always something to learn from a fellow enthusiast's build.

Welcome again and happy building!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Awesome and thanks for tips already given - I will be sure to go over them. Yes I think I am biting off more than I can chew because I already ordered TAP and CAN without really knowing too much about it. I will definitely look to the forum for assistance!

Thanks again.

• Like 1

Welcome aboard! You've certainly decided to dive in at the deep end 🤣 but a patient and methodical approach will get you through and as @mvdveer says there's plenty of advice and help to be had from fellow community members.

Don't worry about a slow build my last V0 just took 6 months! To be fair  I am very slow and easily distracted. I will second the advice of running a build diary, I found it to be a really useful process, just personally, but it is also a great way to interact with the community.

I am sure you will have a very interesting 2023!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, cobretti said:

Yes I think I am biting off more than I can chew because I already ordered TAP and CAN without really knowing too much about it.

I see no challenges 😛 Muahahaha! 

I think the TAP is not a bad choice, I even think it makes things simpler, but a CAN .. pfew, good luck 😉  I hope it goes smoothly, cant really help you there, I am the "less electronics is better" guy here 😛 I even run my TAP without electronics.. 😄 

Enjoy and yeah, as said here, read the build diaries, im sure you are able to pick out some jewels there, feel free to ask anything!! we are happy to help!

• Haha 2

Welcome to the forum @Buurman, @smirk, @mvdveer, @claudermilkare great supporter of this site with their help and suggestions. As mentioned @Buurman has a very detail build with lots of tips. I too have ordered TAP and  BTT Canbus EBB36. I'm still waiting for the TAP parts as for the Canbus I've been told to get the printer configured and printing first then install Canbus. I'll be using PTFE high temp, high strands wire for the four conductors needs with Canbus also keeping the drag chains although I'll be upgrading those when doing the conversion. The drag chain that came in the kit were cheap and already have broken parts that I need to glue together. I'm hoping I can help you with your build and looking forward to following your build diary.

PS: work gets in the way of my build as well, I do a two weeks on two week off rotation in the Alberta Oil Sands. Good luck bud!

Edited by PFarm
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Welcome to the forum! I hear you with the too many hobbies problem. I often joke my hobby is collecting hobbies. Often one escalates into another.

We love build diaries here, and they can be a good place to bring up any issues you run into during the build and get help with it.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, smirk said:

Don't you retire in like 4 weeks?

Yes, soon Feb. 28 2023 is my last day! Looking forward to it but looks like my company want me to be available for consulting so still need to work that out with them. 😎

On 1/3/2023 at 9:58 AM, smirk said:

Guess you've got to pay for your Voron habit somehow 🤔

Yup, between Voron and car parts 🏎️ habit I still need some income coming in LOL! Got the car to my liking ( I think) keeping the 4 x Artillery X1 printing, but the Voron builds (one that I like very much) is whole new rabbit hole for me. 😉

Edited by PFarm
  • Haha 2