Bed wipes for textured bed

Eremius

As part of my print prep I wipe down the bed with IPA using a disposable shop towel (the blue ones).  This has worked well for me for years on the smooth PEI surface of my Prusa i3.  I am now running into an issue where the textured bed is eating pieces of the shop towel and I wondered what other people are using to wipe down their textured beds.

I have stayed away from a cloth-type product as they tend to carry fabric softeners and such but I am not completely opposed.

So what are you using?

1 hour ago, Eremius said:

disposable shop towel

I've noticed not all paper towels are created the same, there are definately some that disintegrated much quicker/worse than others and sadly it's not always the "cheap vs expensive" dynamic that always applies hear.  The odd occassions I do use a textured bed, I wash it down with dish soap rather than rubbing with a paper towel. My logic is that (unless you really scrub hard) anything being wiped over the surface is not going to get into the nooks and crannies of the textured surface.

I also use the blue shop towels for wiping my bed. If it's coming apart, probably you are using too much force. For IPA wipes, it's literally a fairly gentle wipe down. I only apply more pressure when using the dish soap clean, and that's because I'm using a brillo pad for that. Then I pat dry with a regular paper towel, followed by a quick IPA wipe.

Been using Costco paper towel with 99% IPA for cleaning between each print. No breakage or fibres left on the plate.  No adhesion problems on either textured or smooth IPA with this regime. Once in a blue moon, I will wash the plates with hot soapy water, giving them a slight scrub.

Old T-shirts washed without fabric softener then cut into about 8 inch squares. Folded 4 ways it gives you many clean surfaces to clean with. I use I for about 10 wipe-downs then they go in a box to be used for other messy clean-ups before hitting the trash bin. 

• Like 1