Switchwire Build - Formbot3D

5twenty

I have a few Formbot kits that I've put together and are running pretty good. I still need to fine tune them, but don't we all????

Anywhoo, as I have some 2.4s and more than a few VZeroes lying about, I figured I'd build another kit. I mean, who doesn't need even more printers!

Up this round is a Switchwire. Next a Trident, then on to my son's 2.4 and TriZero/Boxzero.

I got the frame done yesterday, and started perusing @Penatr8tor's build looking for some tips, especially for the wiring (Formbot's SW kit has one spool of green wire for everything, and a couple other small pieces for power). Thanks for that build thread and tips - not a lot of people building these any longer. And I've got two to go - as I'll be upgrading my Tevo Tornado and CR10 to 'Wires as well!

To start, here is the frame. I need to start wiring up some junk, and will knock that out this weekend after judging a beer comp. Don't mind the mess, I keep my area like my head keeps information - spread around and hard to find, but I know where it is unless it gets "organized" then I'm screwed for days.

The only issue I'll have is remembering to take pictures along the way and document it. If I could do this regularly, I'd never have any issues remembering stuff.

IMG_1744.jpg

• Like 2

Man, the Y belt...it is hard to get tight. I will probably print the Y belt tensioner, as this will not fly. Way too loose.

But it's coming along. I think I should probably stop printing Trident parts and concentrate on this guy first? Oh well, ADD won't let that happen, so captive I will be held...

day2.thumb.jpg.ad30c9659138a291bb8b0b7f05ef45f4.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 5twenty said:

I will probably print the Y belt tensioner

You won't regret it. 

5 hours ago, 5twenty said:

I should probably stop printing Trident parts and concentrate on this guy first?

We can all multitask, can't we. As long as we don't get the parts mixed up, else we have a switched-trident 😆

• Haha 1

We can, I suppose! Luckily the colors will be different, so I shouldn't mix them up...hopefully.

Ran out of my color for my SW though, have to get some more in before I can continue. Shouldn't be but a few days, much needed reprieve as my 2.4 is acting up. I finally need to tackle that Ellis tuning guide. I've tried tuning on the fly, but it's becoming too much. I have meshed it a few times now and it is wonky and different each and every mesh. And the taco is very evident when trying to print on the entire build surface.

Look out for me asking a ton of questions regarding that.

Same with that Prusa in the right of the pic, with the CR-30 sitting on top.

• 2 weeks later...

Missing (or broken) parts are trickling in. I had to cannibalize some parts from another build, order replacements for those, and print some parts I forgot about.

Getting the Stealthburner ready now.

IMG_1755.jpeg

• Like 1

Got sidetracked with the X1-C the last couple days. AWESOME printer straight out of the box. Started to gear up to print the parts for my son’s Trizero, but needed to hit the road. Nice few days away will get me refocused. I hope. Then finish this while parts are cooking in the silver oven. 

• Like 1

Heading home today. Planning to wrap this build up tomorrow, or by the end of the week. I will force myself to document the rest, but us programmers are not known for good documentation. 

• 3 weeks later...

Whew! Had some injuries pop up from that super-long ass drive. Getting old, and such. People think I joke when I say my body feels like it's 90 years old, but...

Forgot I was waiting on some JST connectors to come in so I can start terminating for the PCB, but while I was waiting, I thought about switching to CAN, and started going down that rabbit hole. I may press ahead and switch that out later?

In the meantime, I have a Trident to build as well, another Prusa clone, a Rat Rig 500, and 4 VzBots to build. I'm printing up some part for a VzBot right now, but will build a few at the same time: So, I'll be building my Prusa Clone, this SW, the Trident, and maybe 1 of the VzBots.

I'd like to build the Rat Rig and get a spot for it in my lab, but that might wait a bit as I don't want to look at pieces to make the enclosure for that one right now.

I'll get a pic in a bit to let you know how it looks inside of my head, and coincidentally how it looks in the room, when I get a second.

Ugh, too many projects. Too little motivation...

• Like 1