What types of printbeds do y'all use on your Voron?

DennisM

Question

A few months ago I was having troubles with adhesion on my first 3D printer, the Geeetech Mizar S. It has auto leveling so that helped a lot, but the "textured PEI" metal sheet just wasn't doing it for me. I ended up buying a glass bed just to try out and fell in love with it right away. The adhesion was amazing and I never had issues after that, and I absolutely loved the shiny glass first layer I'd get with it.

When I started printing Voron parts in ABS I used Magigoo and the combination of glass with the goo worked wonders and I never had warping or any problems with that setup (I did add one of those soft enclosures for keeping the heat in, of course).

But with the Vorons out there, it seems like everyone uses that textured metal plate. When I finished my printer I had lots of adhesion issues, and most of it was probably related to Z height and other things, but it was a little frustrating for me. I ended up buying a PEI PEX sheet from Wham Bam (arriving today) and also a PEI metal sheet that's got a smooth finish on it with some sort of coating on it (not sure how long that will last).

Also I saw that Amazon has a glass plate that's inexpensive as well.

I'm wondering how folks get good results with the textured plate, and why I don't see more smooth beds in use.

7 answers to this question

I use a smooth flex plate with PEI almost exclusively. I do have a couple with textured, but barely use them. For the most part, I just keep them clean with IPA wipe downs every few prints. For ABS I had a bottle of Vision Miner that I have treated the PEI with which helps. I did have to scuff up the plates to get them working well, one just needed a brillo pad, a couple of others needed me to use 600 grit sandpaper. After that, they work well.

I use a smooth plate as well, I've rarely had success with textured plates (whether that's on Vorons or not). Granted I quite like the textured effect but I get the best results with smooth pei. Generally a regular wipe down with IPA and a very very ocassional scrub with fine grit (I use 1200, simply because that's what I have) and a bit of acetone (don't use acetone alot as it does eat at PEI eventually) even more infrequently. If I'm having one of those "nothing sticks, no matter what" moments then I've resorted to Vision Miner as well (had to check the pack there as I thought I was simply copying @claudermilk  word for word 🤣) - bloody expensive stuff but so far I've had no grumbles with it.

textured PEI bed, had to get used to it, but never going back to glass for sure!

Default Formbot kit for me... perfectly fine quality, been over 500 hours of prints and still as new, but I do clean it with alcohol after every print.

You have to squash it a little more on a textured bed and up the flow for first layer a bit.

First thing I did with my new Voron textured bed is to sand it with 150 grit sandpaper to remove all the high spots and make it more grippy. But it didn't stick very well anyway so I use extra hold hair spray on it for every print and it sticks very well. When it gets a bit too crusty, I take it to the kitchen sink and give it a good wash. The only issue is the strong perfume that comes with it and it gums up the glass eventually. Most people take the bed out to spray it though...

https://www.amazon.ca/Dove-Style-Extra-Hairspray-273ml/dp/B00BOUR9W2/

6 hours ago, DennisM said:

Amazon has a glass plate

I discovered my local glass shop last year, they have pretty much any kind of glass you want, cut and finished to your liking for a few dollars. A 300x300x5 plain glass sheet will cost 5$ or something. You should seek out yours too!

Textured PEI plate for me. Works well. Adhesion 99%. I spray it down with isopropyl alcohol after EACH and EVERY print. Has been working for me. Used to print on glass - to much hassle to get prints to adhere to the surface for me

10 hours ago, mvdveer said:

Textured PEI plate for me. Works well. Adhesion 99%. I spray it down with isopropyl alcohol after EACH and EVERY print. Has been working for me. Used to print on glass - to much hassle to get prints to adhere to the surface for me

OTher side of the planet, yet so alike! 😛 even speaking the same language 😉

But yes as @Simon2.4 says (no pun intended) wash it down really well the first time or after a while again with kitchen dishwash soap, makes a world of difference, especially when new. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, smirk said:

If I'm having one of those "nothing sticks, no matter what" moments then I've resorted to Vision Miner as well (had to check the pack there as I thought I was simply copying @claudermilk  word for word 🤣) - bloody expensive stuff but so far I've had no grumbles with it.

😆 Yeah, Vision Miner is godawful expensive. I put off trying it until I got to last resort stage, but once I did the stuff is magic. It doesn't take a ton, and it does last a while.

I wonder if this surpasses inkjet ink as the most expensive liquid in the world? 🤔 ...probably not.