Old Vorons Learn New Tricks (V1-019 and V2-007) and get a little brother.

Hock

I have a pair of rather veteran Vorons that are in need of some upgrades! V1-019 is currently in V1.8 trim pending upgrade to Trident, and V2-007 is currently in V2.2 trim pending upgrade to the latest rev of V2.4.

So, our starting point:

V1-019

History: Was one of the OG V1s wayyyyyy back in the day. Went through the full upgrade path of V1.0 -> V1.5 -> V1.6 -> V1.8. Has been a steady workhorse for years.

Specs: Started on OG 228mm, currently 250mm. 12v. Mosquito Magnum with high temp thermistor (prints PC like a champ, but gets finicky with some lower temp filaments - for example, doesn't like esun abs+). Pi 3 paired with SKR 1.3.

Color Scheme: Portal (Orange base, Blue accent, Silver frame, White panels)

Mods: Running 7" Raspberry Pi touchscreen. In the height of my stubbornness, I still use separate Z motors and screws just because I already had them and didn't want to buy integrated screw motors ๐Ÿ˜‰ Currently using AB-BN hot end.

Plans:

• Stealthburner. Probably sell the Mosquito and use a Rapido.
  • Switch out electronics from SKR 1.3 to Spider
  • Switch from Octoprint to Mainsail
  • Rebuild from V1.8 to Trident once my set of Z rails show up.
  • Planning on modding the bottom of the unit to change the accessibility of the electronics. I know Trident is designed to have some commonality with V2.4, but since the bed isn't hard mounted, that means one can flip the electronics bay and make the removable panel the one inside the machine and hence do all the maintenance from the top without flipping it over. Putting in a lot of effort to mod things to save myself 30 seconds flipping the machine over when I rarely need to mess with the electronics appeals to my sense of laziness!

V2-007

History: An OG V2 from before there was even a manual built by watching RCF's videos to figure out how to put it together. Then upgraded to V2.2 because of V2.0's infamous "belt coffins". Is yuge and was meant to be able to print cosplay helmets as a single part. Doesn't actually get used nearly as much as V1-019 just because yuge = pain in the ass.

Specs: 350mm. 24v. E3D V6. Pi 3 paired with a pair of RAMPs that it's used ever since back in the day when Klipper didn't exist and quad gantry leveling involved a RAMPs with an expansion board for more steppers and a custom build of Marlin 1.

Color Scheme: Vorange (Black base, Orange accent, Black frame and panels). I like orange, so sue me ๐Ÿ˜‰

Mods: 4.3" Pi touchscreen

Plans:

• Full rebuild to 2.4 spec
  • Switch out electronics from RAMPS to a pair of SKR (since I already have the SKRs and there's a lot more room under a V2 than a V1 for the extra electronics)
  • Switch from Octoprint to Mainsail

V2-?

I have most of the bits to make another V2. The intention was to make a 200mm mini travel V2, back in the days before V0 existed, with the intention of it being a cute li'l thing that would fit entirely inside V2-007. Since I already have the parts to build it, I suppose I might as well? But lower priority than the others.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Hock said:

V2-?

I have most of the bits to make another V2. The intention was to make a 200mm mini travel V2, back in the days before V0 existed, with the intention of it being a cute li'l thing that would fit entirely inside V2-007. Since I already have the parts to build it, I suppose I might as well? But lower priority than the others.

There is a project just like you described here called the Micron:
https://github.com/PrintersForAnts/Micron

ย 

28 minutes ago, Rainforestnomad said:

How would the Micron compare to the V0 in daily use? Would it have any advantages or disadvantages? Looks really neat!

I don't think there are any advantages over a v0.1 but it's really cool in a quirky way. V0.1 is probably better cause it's simpler.

CW2/Stealthburner with Rapido installed on V019. It was something of a hack job, I dismantled the carriage before realizing that Trident had changed the endstop configuration vs the 1.8 and did not have a spot to mount the microswitch, so I had to improvise ๐Ÿ˜‰. So the big change of the overall carriage architecture is that you went from screwing through the carriage into the extruder, to screwing through the extruder and into the carriage. The hole spacing and interfaces are otherwise the same. So I had some extra large heat sets, which fit in the area for the head of the screw of the old style carriage and let me retrofit the old carriage to work with the CW2. Also, I needed to remove the wire shroud from the CW2 as it collided with the 1.8 style X carriage, which has a lot more bulk on top of the rails than the 2.4 or Trident. Not pretty but it works and the Rapido is now installed! I had initially pushed this effort since the Mosquito had been jamming frequently lately, although as I discovered after dismantling it, one of the wires to the hot end fan was pinched, which I think was the actual cause (I had been planning on replacing it with a higher quality fan anyway at some point and took this opportunity to do so). Oh well, would rather use the Rapido anyway.

Then, I saw that the thermistor in the Rapido was not in my version of Klipper, which was of an early 2020 vintage, so updated that and spent a while fixing the config file from the old step_distance configuration and changing my macros because they'd changed how to set default macro parameters. At least my SKRs were set up to allow flashing over USB, they didn't come that way when I bought them but it's oh so useful.

Edited by Hock

The SB on a V1.8 issues are known, and being addressed. Mods for SB are discouraged while it's in beta, but there are parts to address the interference issues and a wire cover that works. You can look through the Discord if you want to find it; since I'm running a Trident I really haven't paid much attention to those parts beyond being aware that other people have run into what you are right now.

So after an annoying couple of hours of dealing with a broken harness wire, I've decided the next upgrade for V1-019 is going to be FFC, I've finally had enough of fishing and tracing tiny wires...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So V1-019 is in the process of converting from a 1.8 to a... 1.8r1 of sorts? As a middle ground while I wait for Z steppers to arrive via slow boat, I'm starting the conversion with the Trident skirt and electronics compartment, along with the top access Trident electronics mod (at least the flipped DIN rails part, I'm having to tweak the Z mounts myself). This coming along side getting a set of aluminum core back/base panels. To be honest it's actually a fairly trivial change, it's doing all of the easy parts of a 1.8->T conversion without doing the motion mechanism parts aside from dropping the XY 10mm, but I think it'll make it a lot nicer to work with, in particular because it does give a bit more room up top for working with the Clockwork when swapping filaments.

• Like 1