question about voron 2.4r2 panels

SteveThatcher

I haven't assembled the frame yet,. but I am nearly finished with printed parts (except for all the panel parts). The question I have is what is the required clearance on the sides and back from the extrusion to where the panel is. I know 3mm tape is mentioned and I think someone said the Z rails stick out the sides a bit which would require the panels to be spaced out for clearance.

I am not thrilled with using foam tape to seal and space the panels out. I am contemplating essentially sliding tracks for the sides, back and top, so panels could be easily removed or changed (I am aware of the magnetic panels mod). The door would be the standard r2 assembly.

Anyone can to share... 🙂

You will definitely want foam or some other thick sealing tape. It’s not there just for spacing.  If it was a hard need then they would have made some stand-off clips. Once you start printing ABS, believe me you will be happy to have a decently sealed cabinet for both heat stability and fumes.  If you are sticking to PLA only you can probably do some fancy panel scheme that doesn’t seal up.

• Like 1

I don't think V2.4r2 is much different than Trident--the Z belts don't appear to stick out any more than the gantry bits. I have 1mm foam on my panels and it clears. I also have the snap clips instead of stock mount clips; those make it so much quicker and easier to pull & replace the panels, and don't need the huge pile of magnets.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, AjaxOfTroy said:

You will definitely want foam or some other thick sealing tape. It’s not there just for spacing.  If it was a hard need then they would have made some stand-off clips. Once you start printing ABS, believe me you will be happy to have a decently sealed cabinet for both heat stability and fumes.  If you are sticking to PLA only you can probably do some fancy panel scheme that doesn’t seal up.

I already print ABS and am using a thin walled framed box off Amazon for my i3 printer. You are correct that you can't seal something with standoff clips, but I do disagree that you have to use foam tape to do it.