Voron 2.4r2 Released!

Demosth

As rumored the Voron 2.4r2 has been released with many enhancements and upgrades. You can download the latest release at the official gitHub repo located at https://github.com/VoronDesign/Voron-2/releases/tag/V2.4r2

Use this topic to comment and discuss the updates, let us know what features you look forward to the most! Looking forward to seeing the first "Build Guide" for transition from a V2.4r1 to a V2.4r2!

(This is a copy of official Release notes found here: https://github.com/VoronDesign/Voron-2/releases/tag/V2.4)

VORON2.4 Release
Release Notes:

Release V2.4 of the VORON2 lineup of 3D printers. This release re-focused on simplicity and cost for VORON2, and has been redesigned from the ground up to be more streamlined, easier to source, more fun to build, and generally a better machine to own. In short, what VORON used to stand for.

Notable features for this release:

• Afterburner Toolhead System, features minimal parts you actually swap, and improved cooling of both hot end and parts. Comes in both Direct Feed and Bowden configurations. We've incorporated all feedback received during the beta testing process and made it much easier to assemble.
  • Direct drive A and B motors allow for smoother belt path and less parasitic loses. Also reduces noise and ringing, while improving machine reliability.
  • Z rails are now centered on the vertical extrusions, allowing use of almost any 2020 T slot profile available.
  • SKR 1.3, along with TMC2209 and 24V bus voltage is now the standard configuration, allowing us to ditch the Astrosyn dampeners while retaining quiet operation. 24V also allows for reduced wire gauge in the chains without loss of efficiency.
  • Increased Y travel. There's now a full 10mm of over-travel on Y axis, allowing one to use the Z nozzle probe without sacrificing build plate space.
  • XY joints and Z idlers now use regular 20T toothed pulleys, reducing complexity and cost, while improving reliability of the machine. Z idlers are also simplified and now use single screw for belt tension adjustment.
  • Z drives now accommodate any metal 80T pulley available on the market, including ones with flanges. Metal 80T improve accuracy over printed 80T pulleys, and allow for more consistent gantry leveling results.
  • New front idlers are vastly simplified and also feature single screw belt tension adjustment. This allows users to get more consistent results when tensioning belts and, more importantly, while trying to match the belt tensions of a group of belts.
  • Part counts and variety has been reduced, and printed parts now require much less plastic.
  • Improved bed mounting using globally sourceable spacers in order to help eliminate bed distortion during the build process.
  • Front panel is now a set of doors, using magnetic latches and print-in-place hinges.
  • Screw-down panel clips from V2.1 return with a re-design and improved installation method. They are now almost as quick as the quick-release panel clips to install and remove.
  • Rear fan housing has been redesigned to help utilize more of the filter material. It now uses a 60mm fan for easier 24V sourcing.
  • Rear plug panel sees the return of the integrated non-filtered mains inlet, which is much cheaper and easier to source. It also features dual Keystone terminal slots for easy port extendability (CAT6, USB, etc).
  • The Mini12864 LCD Module is now the standard LCD for VORON family of printers. It's a lot more compact than the now-ancient RepRap Full Graphics Display and is a lot more responsive thanks its use SPI bus connection.
  • Electronics compartment layout has been improved to allow better cooling and easier component management. DIN3 (35mm) rails are the standard configuration now which bring with it much improved installation and maintenance experience. Electronic compartment cooling is now provided by dual 60mm fans, significantly improving component cooling.

Work on this release began before Christmas of 2019 and the pace of development on it has been remarkable. I hope you enjoy building this machine as much as we enjoyed designing it.

Have printed all the parts for the 2.4 prior to this release and was waiting for the arrival of the sourced parts.

Finally have it and was going to start assembly when this was announced. 

Is there any documentation to the difference in printed parts?

Is a complete parts print required or can some of the 2.4 printed parts be used for 2.4r?

Searched but could not find answers.

As mentioned by @claudermilk above, here is a copy of the changelog posted on Discord.

Release Notes

This release contains QoL updates and improvements to the official release of the VORON2.4 3d printer.
For more detailed information about V2.4 itself, please refer to the official release notes and the previous update V2.4r1

If you're just getting started with your V2.4 build, the files attached to this release contain the most up-to-date parts required for your Voron 3D printer. If you are currently building, or have already built your V2.4r1, please check the list of fixes and updates below and determine whether you need to update your printer accordingly.

The following fixes and updates have been made since the previous release:

• MGN12 X Axis setup from Trident (originally member contributed)
    • (note: as with Trident, the MGN12 setup drops compatibility with the PL series of inductive probes)
  • Revised Z drive modules to fit guitar amplifier feet introduced with Trident. Maintains compatibility with compressor feet.
    • Requires a modification to the bottom panel for upgrades from V2.4r1. Cut template included in the tools folder.
  • New rear skirt layout relocating the power inlet and keystone pieces.
  • Most unsupported countersunk bolt holes changed to using the cross-bridge method instead of a chamfer.
  • Panel mount clips from Trident
    • 1mm foam recommended for the top and rear panels
    • 3mm foam for the side panels.
  • Mini12864 display housing from Trident and updated for better compatibility with the BTT version of the screen.
  • Simplified Z cable chain mounts using one screw and a printed retainer.
  • Updated skirt fan mounts using M3 screws and heatsets to mount the fans and fan blanks. Inspiration for the heatset mounting method taken from Ali Express vendor.
  • Revised Z gantry blocks with extra material so the printed part touches the panels before the screw heads.
  • Updated suggested electronics compartment layout to match Trident.
  • Electronics DIN mounting clips from Trident.
  • Updated exhaust filter housing with two screws holding the filter access cover.
  • Added an exhaust filter fan grill to correct spacing for the fan mounting screws.
  • Revised front idlers with tensioning screws moved to be inline with the idler pulleys. Inspiration for this modification taken from Github issue - posted by chrisingham05 (#255 ).
  • Added mount for 3x5 WAGO 221 modules for inlet power wiring.
  • Updated XY endstop pod compatible with both independent and PCB mounted D2F microswitches.
  • Updated pulley jig for spacing assistance on all stepper pulleys and gears.
  • Updated assembly manual to reflect the changes introduced by 2.4r2

Additionally you can find a list of printable changes here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1P_XPaSeyP7uK6L48w4EEsTmdjeehy-p35vTH95gYC9M/edit?usp=sharing 

Functional Change  
Either a new part to support a new feature like MGN12 X axis, or some functional change.
Printability Change  
No reason to reprint just for this. Only changes are printability things like changing the style of unsupported countersunk holes to cross-bridge style from chamfers.
No Change    

\STLs\Electronics_Bay    
lrs_200_psu_bracket_x2.stl    
pcb_din_clip_x3.stl    
PSU_stabilizer_50mm.stl    
raspberrypi_bracket.stl    
rs25_psu_bracket.stl    
wago_221-415_mount_3x5.stl    

\STLs\Electronics_Bay\Controller_Mounts    
BIGDIPPER_bracket_set.stl    
BTT_MOT_EXP_bracket.stl    
Duet2_Duet3Mini5_bracket_set.stl    
GTR_bracket_set.stl    
Octopus_bracket_set.stl    
S6_bracket_set.stl    
SKR_bracket_inline_set.stl    
SKR_Pro_bracket_set.stl    
Spider_bracket_set.stl    

\STLs\Electronics_Bay\Other_PS_Mounts    
UHP_200_Mount_x2.stl    
UHP_350_Mount_x2.stl    

\STLs\Exhaust_Filter    
exhaust_filter_grill.stl    
exhaust_filter_housing.stl    
[a]_exhaust_fan_grill.stl    
[a]_exhaust_filter_mount_x2.stl    
[a]_filter_access_cover.stl    

\STLs\Gantry    
z_chain_bottom_anchor.stl    
z_chain_guide.stl    
[a]_z_belt_clip_lower_x4.stl    
[a]_z_belt_clip_upper_x4.stl    

\STLs\Gantry\AB_Drive_Units    
a_drive_frame_lower.stl    
a_drive_frame_upper.stl    
b_drive_frame_lower.stl    
b_drive_frame_upper.stl    
[a]_cable_cover.stl    
[a]_z_chain_retainer_bracket_x2.stl    

\STLs\Gantry\Front_Idlers    
front_idler_left_lower.stl    
front_idler_left_upper.stl    
front_idler_right_lower.stl    
front_idler_right_upper.stl    
[a]_tensioner_left.stl    
[a]_tensioner_right.stl    

\STLs\Gantry\X_Axis\XY_Joints    
xy_joint_left_lower_MGN12.stl    
xy_joint_left_upper_MGN12.stl    
xy_joint_right_lower_MGN12.stl    
xy_joint_right_upper_MGN12.stl    
[a]_endstop_pod_D2F_switch.stl    
[a]_endstop_pod_hall_effect.stl    
[a]_xy_joint_cable_bridge_2hole.stl    
[a]_xy_joint_cable_bridge_3hole.stl    

\STLs\Gantry\X_Axis\X_Carriage    
blower_housing_rear.stl    
hotend_fan_mount.stl    
pinda_adapter.stl    
probe_retainer_bracket.stl    
probe_retainer_bracket_9mm.stl    
x_carriage_frame_left_MGN12.stl    
x_carriage_frame_right_MGN12.stl    
[a]_blower_housing_front.stl    

\STLs\Gantry\X_Axis\X_Carriage\Bowden    
bowden_dual_front_a.stl    
bowden_dual_front_b.stl    
bowden_rear.stl    
bowden_single_bsp_adapter.stl    
bowden_single_front.stl    
bowden_single_tl_collet_adapter.stl    

\STLs\Gantry\X_Axis\X_Carriage\Direct_Feed    
chain_anchor_2hole.stl    
chain_anchor_3hole.stl    
extruder_body.stl    
extruder_motor_plate.stl    
extruder_motor_plate_for_pcb.stl    
[a]_connector_cover.stl    
[a]_guidler.stl    
[a]_latch.stl    
[a]_latch_shuttle.stl    

\STLs\Gantry\X_Axis\X_Carriage\Printheads\Dragon

printhead_front_dragon.stl    
printhead_rear_dragon.stl    

\STLs\Gantry\X_Axis\X_Carriage\Printheads\Dragonfly_BMO

printhead_front_dragonfly_bmo.stl    
printhead_rear_dragonfly_bmo.stl    

\STLs\Gantry\X_Axis\X_Carriage\Printheads\Dragonfly_BMS

printhead_front_dragonfly_bms.stl    
printhead_rear_dragonfly_bms.stl    

\STLs\Gantry\X_Axis\X_Carriage\Printheads\E3D_Revo_Micro

printhead_front_e3d_revo_micro.stl    
printhead_rear_e3d_revo_micro.stl    

\STLs\Gantry\X_Axis\X_Carriage\Printheads\E3D_V6

printhead_front_e3dv6.stl    
printhead_rear_e3dv6.stl    

\STLs\Gantry\X_Axis\X_Carriage\Printheads\Slice_Mosquito

printhead_front_mosquito.stl    
printhead_rear_mosquito.stl    

\STLs\Gantry\Z_Joints    
z_joint_lower_x4.stl    
z_joint_upper_hall_effect.stl    
z_joint_upper_x4.stl    

\STLs\Panel_Mounting    
bottom_panel_clip_x4.stl    
bottom_panel_hinge_x2.stl    
corner_panel_clip_4mm_x8.stl    
corner_panel_clip_6mm_x8.stl    
deck_support_3mm_x8.stl    
deck_support_4mm_x8.stl    
midspan_panel_clip_4mm_x7.stl    
midspan_panel_clip_6mm_x8.stl    
z_belt_cover_a_x2.stl    
z_belt_cover_b_x2.stl    

\STLs\Panel_Mounting\Front_Doors    
door_hinge_x6.stl    
handle_a_x2.stl    
handle_b_x2.stl    
latch_x2.stl    

\STLs\Skirts    
keystone_panel.stl    
mini12864_case_front.stl    
mini12864_case_rear.stl    
power_inlet_filtered.stl    
power_inlet_IECGS_1.2mm.stl    
power_inlet_IECGS_1mm.stl    
side_fan_support_x2.stl    
[a]_belt_guard_a_x2.stl    
[a]_belt_guard_b_x2.stl    
[a]_btt_knob_light_shield.stl    
[a]_fan_grill_a_x2.stl    
[a]_fan_grill_b_x2.stl    
[a]_fan_grill_open_optional_x2.stl    
[a]_fan_grill_retainer_x2.stl    
[a]_keystone_blank_insert.stl    
[a]_mini12864_case_front_insert.stl    
[a]_mini12864_case_hinge.stl    

\STLs\Skirts\250    
front_skirt_a_250.stl    
front_skirt_b_250.stl    
rear_center_skirt_250.stl    
side_skirt_a_250_x2.stl    
side_skirt_b_250_x2.stl    

\STLs\Skirts\300    
front_skirt_a_300.stl    
front_skirt_b_300.stl    
rear_center_skirt_300.stl    
side_skirt_a_300_x2.stl    
side_skirt_b_300_x2.stl    

\STLs\Skirts\350    
front_skirt_a_350.stl    
front_skirt_b_350.stl    
rear_center_skirt_350.stl    
side_skirt_a_350_x2.stl    
side_skirt_b_350_x2.stl    

\STLs\Spool_Management    
bowden_retainer.stl    
spool_holder.stl    

\STLs\Z_Drive    
z_drive_main_a_x2.stl    
z_drive_main_b_x2.stl    
z_drive_retainer_a_x2.stl    
z_drive_retainer_b_x2.stl    
z_motor_mount_a_x2.stl    
z_motor_mount_b_x2.stl    
[a]_belt_tensioner_a_x2.stl    
[a]_belt_tensioner_b_x2.stl    
[a]_z_drive_baseplate_a_x2.stl    
[a]_z_drive_baseplate_b_x2.stl    

\STLs\Z_Endstop    
nozzle_probe.stl    

\STLs\Z_Idlers    
z_tensioner_bracket_a_x2.stl    
z_tensioner_bracket_b_x2.stl    
[a]_z_tensioner_x4_9mm.stl    

I was in the midst of a r1 build when r2 came out. I am taking the time and reprinting things so the first one I build will be r2.  In that vein, I took the above list and added "checkboxes" for the number and progress of my printing. It isn't fancy, but it is just what I threw together so I could transition to r2 easier.  Thanks to Demosth for the original data that I massaged off here. I have attached a PDF and a Word docx file for other people to use.

Just a quick note - the WAGO nomenclature was confusing because of the Voron print quantity marking. Now that I got in the WAGOs and printed the mount, I realized that the 3x5 was a reference to the number of WAGO "modules" and WAGO "size" in terminations.  I am not bothering to modify the docs this time, but a better naming convention such as wago_221-415_3x_mount.stl might work better. Wago_221-415 specifies the number of positions and the 3x lets you know home many modules the print holds.  If the overall quantity changes, then the normal voron quantity could be added.

voron2.4r1_r2_changes_rev1_1.docx voron2.4r1_r2_changes_rev1_1.pdf

Edited by SteveThatcher
WAGO quantity and added Rev & date

3 hours ago, claudermilk said:

Have you seen this thread and the linked Google sheet? 

It should be fairly simple to update for r2. I took it and massively reworked it for the Trident.

I did, but I just needed a simple migration sheet (actual paper... 🙂 ) for the shop where I do all my printing. I mark things off "mechanically" with a pen... 🙂

• 3 weeks later...

@Demosth, thanks for putting together that spreadsheet.  Very helpful.  I had a set of parts already printed for the original 2.4 but hadn't started assembling when r2 was released, so used your spreadshet to get a set of r2 updated parts printed out.

I've just assembled the Z drives.  I had both the original 2.4 and 2.4 r2 parts on hand, and inadvertently used the original Z drive main parts instead of the r2 parts.  Despite being listed as "functionally" different in that spreadsheet, I can't see any changes beyond some cosmetic ones.  The Z drive baseplate is indeed different to suit the guitar amp rubber feet, but it fits just fine to the original main and retainer parts.  Might be worth updating the spreadsheet (unless I've missed something critical) ?