And so it begins

Pappy3831

Github certainly has a learning curve. It was trying to get my hands on files for the Voron that forced me to figure it out enough to use it semi-effectively. A ton of content for 3d printing, and Vorons in particular, is Github-based.

I know just enough to be dangerous now. Like, I spent a few days prodding at Linux command line git on the Pi to get backups of my printer configs shoved to a repository. Next step is to understand how to create a .sh script and call it from Mainsail to semi-automate that.

🤣 tech-geek-ese. 

Keep poking around github and lean on Google searches. You will start to get the hang of it.

Since Klipper is written in Python (programming language), and generally used on a Linux-based (operating system) Raspberry Pi, you are going to get exposed to some command-line Linux like it or not. Mostly you will be able to copy-paste commands, but it's always better to have some understanding of what is going on.

An aside for everyone's amusement: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cargo_cult_programming. This is what a lot of us are doing following the recipes out there--myself included.

Oh, and you will learn what SSH & "headless" means, too. Assuming you are on Windows, I recommend looking at MobaXTerm for SSH and WinSCP for file management. They make accessing the Pi much more pleasant.

1 minute ago, claudermilk said:

🤣 tech-geek-ese. 

Keep poking around github and lean on Google searches. You will start to get the hang of it.

Since Klipper is written in Python (programming language), and generally used on a Linux-based (operating system) Raspberry Pi, you are going to get exposed to some command-line Linux like it or not. Mostly you will be able to copy-paste commands, but it's always better to have some understanding of what is going on.

An aside for everyone's amusement: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cargo_cult_programming. This is what a lot of us are doing following the recipes out there--myself included.

Oh, and you will learn what SSH & "headless" means, too. Assuming you are on Windows, I recommend looking at MobaXTerm for SSH and WinSCP for file management. They make accessing the Pi much more pleasant.

Thanks for the info. I’ll have to start doing some research. Fortunately I do have access to some people who are somewhat of not well versed in Linux I can refer to. 

Oh, and one other tidbit to file away for when you get to the software stage. I suggest using the Raspberry Pi Imager instead of Balena Etcher as the Voron docs site  suggests. It does the same thing, but if you use the secret code key combination CTRL-SHIFT-X you can easily set up your WiFi without having to manually find and edit the wpa-supplicant.txt file. Don't worry, that gibberish will make sense once you get to that point and start reading the firmware & software instructions.

Got the hot end and clockworks built. Right now I’m using the dragon high flow. I can’t seem to get the revo micro in the parts, but I’ll keep trying. As soon as one becomes available I’ll get the v6 revo if I can’t get the micro to work. Note to remember to install the silicon sock before you put the hot end completely together.  Waiting for wiring and connectors to show up so I can finish up the wiring using wagos.  Then I can flip the printer back over and get to work with the cable chains and wiring. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Pappy3831 said:

Got the hot end and clockworks built. Right now I’m using the dragon high flow. I can’t seem to get the revo micro in the parts, but I’ll keep trying. As soon as one becomes available I’ll get the v6 revo if I can’t get the micro to work. Note to remember to install the silicon sock before you put the hot end completely together.  Waiting for wiring and connectors to show up so I can finish up the wiring using wagos.  Then I can flip the printer back over and get to work with the cable chains and wiring. 

What seems to be the problem with the Revo? One small detail that is pretty subtle on the SB mount is you have to take the big nut on the top and flip it upside down from how E3D ships it to fit the mount.

As you found, yes that bitty little fan comes off. The 4010 fan in the SB front plate replaces it.

You need to reinstall the nut, just with the flange on top. It fits into that open space at the top of the mount. I'll take mine apart later today and take a pic.

It's no problem, and makes for a good example of a) how well thought out the SB is, & b) how easy is it to tear down and reassemble.

Here is my Revo as it sits in the holder.

PXL_20220324_065319573.png.dd94b1099866419bd923ae21fa076244.png

FYI, it took 6 screws to remove to get to here. I didn't unplug anything and forgot to unload the filament. 😉 About 8 minutes from power down to power up, including taking photos.

Well. Backed up but didn’t punt. Reworked my wiring and neatened it up. Cut the wire harnesses and used wagos for the high voltage. It looks better now. When do I need to start worrying about installing firmware?  Also not sure if you can see it in the pic but there is one wire of the wiring harness on the high voltage side with a wire left over on the 5v side. Going to look at Nero’s and Thomas videos tomorrow to see if I can figure it out. And still need to get the sat wires up and I’m going to go ahead and install the bed so I can get that wiring in there.  But I’m happy with the progress I made today with help from all of you. 659EF5B8-D14E-40D0-909B-5208E1DD9198.thumb.jpeg.f449a77f78853879f3c43f2e78ec726b.jpeg

• Like 2

Looking good. When I was wiring up my power, I was directed to just run pairs of +/- wire from the Meanwell to the Octopus instead of the jump loops. The reasoning was to split the power across pairs of wires rather than all through the one, then daisy chain off it. Seemed reasonable to me so I went that way.

Don't worry about the hotend, like I said it was all of 8 minutes start to finish. Easy peasy and I'm happy to help. 

On 3/17/2022 at 8:59 AM, Pappy3831 said:

Damn.  Whatever happened to plug and play?  I thought building was going to be the hardest part

Building is definitely the easy part! Messing around getting Klipper working on my prior printer took a lot more time than it is to actually build a Voron. And I still have a TON to learn about Klipper.

Edited by OneStepAhead