And so it begins

Pappy3831

Minor setbacks and oopsies like that are all part of the process.I think both Nero 3D and Steve Builds belted their V2 gantries off the frame first, then mounted the Z after.

I managed to install the front two bed carriage brackets flipped left-to-right and upside down on my Trident; explained why the darn lead screw nuts were such a pain to get bolted.

Yeah. I figured I’d have some things not go quite right. Figured it’s normal. My wife says it’s because I’m mechanically inclined. I can screw up anything. At least last night I caught my mistake before I got past it or I’d be doing it a third time🤣🤣. With the carriage belted now it’s a lot stiffer moving than what I imagined it would be.  Thinking about disconnecting the belts and checking my carriage movement before I go further and then have to backtrack again. Would the belts put that much friction on the carriage to stiffen up the movement like that?

My gantry is a bit different, being solid mounted to the frame. When I first belted up it moved smoothly with a bit of resistance from spinning the AB motors. 

You did grease up the carriages, right? I checked that mine moved smoothly after cleaning & greasing them before mounting to the frame. That was where I picked the Y rails vs the Z rails (X was pre-determined since it was the MGN12).

Cleaned them but didn’t grease them. They moved really smooth. I’ll have to get some grease and get that done before I get too much further. I toyed with changing from the 2 rail mgn9 to the 1 rail mgn12. Still up in the air about doing that. I may go ahead and order the rail and print the new parts and swap while I’m putting the hot end and extruder together. Figured while I wait for the rail I can get that done and start on the wiring. That way I have the parts I need if I decide to switch. 

Definitely grease them before getting any farther.

I just took my carriages off over a paper towel and mashed some Super Lube into the ball bearing races, then put them back on. After cleaning the rails, of course. What's on the rails is just shipping protection oil.

Decided to go ahead and replace the 2 mgn 9 rails with the mgn 12. Got the rail ordered from the voron source and it should be here Monday. So not too much of a setback. I can get the parts printed for the changeover and get the hot end and extruder built and ready and possibly even start on the installation of the electronics. That should make for a full weekend. 

37 minutes ago, Pappy3831 said:

Decided to go ahead and replace the 2 mgn 9 rails with the mgn 12. Got the rail ordered from the voron source and it should be here Monday. So not too much of a setback. I can get the parts printed for the changeover and get the hot end and extruder built and ready and possibly even start on the installation of the electronics. That should make for a full weekend. 

I had most of the gantry wiring done too befor I put it in:
gantry.thumb.jpg.9c7e258548735f17023d70780394e2d6.jpg

Nothing much accomplished today other than printing new parts so I can be ready for the mgn12 rail. I did start on the hot end. I ordered the dragon high flow. Couple of issues maybe somebody knows if it’s right or wrong and a fix. The thermistor doesn’t go through the block all the way. About an 1/8 of an inch sticks out from the block which shows on the other side as a hole. Guess I should have posted a pic. Is this okay or normal?  I tried the thermistor on the v6 and it’s the same on it. The other issue is the screws I had to remove are to short to use when installing the dragon into the printed part. The longer screws they provided are too long. They bottom out in the dragon before tightening and allow th dragon to drop down. They seem to be about 3mm too long. Easy fix. Ordered some 2.5x8mm. They should be here by Tuesday with the new rail.  Comments tips and advice are appreciated. 

The new hot end arrived for my Ender 5 so I can get back in the build. Gonna get the rails lined up tonight. Received the mgn 12 rail. It’s a little stiff so will see if greasing it up helps any. I’ll post a pic tonight if the thermistor in the hot end to get some opinions on if that is acceptable or not. Hope everybody else’s build is going smoothly. 

Yes. When I take the x rail off to rebuild then I’m going to grease all at one time. The original ones have no opening to inject grease into so figured I’d get grease in the rail tracks and run the gantry up and dow a few time then do it again. The 12 rail has a small opening that it looks like I can inect some grease into so I’ll do that and also do the same as the other rails. 

Progress. Got the electronics mounted. The octopus board is set up.  Ready to start installing the wiring. Oh and have to backtrack and finish the hot end and extruder. But on to the wiring. Anybody seen my voltmeter?  I’ve seemed to have set it down somewhere and can’t remember where that was. So as soon as harbor freight opens it’s off to buy a new one. 

Okay. So got the voltage situation figured out. My brand new 7 dollar multimeter is a piece of 💩. Actually had to turn both power supplies up to get 24 and 5 volts dc respectively. So now I can get back to building once I remember where I left off. Hung up on the hot end. Bought the dragon high flow but not sure if I’m overly worried about the high speed printing. And I really like the revo v6. If I can find one. So I’ll build both I guess and decide when I do the wiring for it. image.thumb.jpg.4487bb9cf987e4a77e00f0fd02d230ad.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.00c0eacc1ed50bc3db70b27e10699e05.jpg

Just now, Pappy3831 said:

Okay. So got the voltage situation figured out. My brand new 7 dollar multimeter is a piece of 💩. Actually had to turn both power supplies up to get 24 and 5 volts dc respectively. So now I can get back to building once I remember where I left off. Hung up on the hot end. Bought the dragon high flow but not sure if I’m overly worried about the high speed printing. And I really like the revo v6. If I can find one. So I’ll build both I guess and decide when I do the wiring for it. image.thumb.jpg.4487bb9cf987e4a77e00f0fd02d230ad.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.00c0eacc1ed50bc3db70b27e10699e05.jpg

I am asking as you see in the first photo the thermistor does not seat completely into the heat block. The second foto you can’t see it does not come all the way through the heat block. Is this normal?  My Ender 5 thermistor is nothing like this so I have no idea. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Pappy3831 said:

thermistor does not seat completely into the heat block.

it terms of function it will be fine. the brass is just a protective capsule to hold the tiny glass thermistor inside and there is ample contact with the block. you can gently correct its shape with pliers to get it to fit or leave it like that if it does not bother the placement of other components. there is a risk of breaking the brass

Thank you Simon. I was comparing it to my Ender. On looking at a replacement for the Ender it doesn’t have a brass fitting for protection. I’m learning more and more everyday. I might even end up knowing what I’m doing someday. I guess you can teach an old dog🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

KB-3D has a few Revo Micros in stock: https://kb-3d.com/store/extruders-hotends/424-e3d-rapid-change-revo-hotend-micro-24v-1640229946834.html

I checked and V2 now has toolhead files for it. Wiring shouldn't be an issue, just make sure the pigtails for the heater & thermistor are the same on all the tool heads and it should be a quick swap.

Edit: I checked some of my other frequently-visited vendors:

https://3dmakerparts.com/products/e3d-revo-micro-24v?variant=41406788763855https://3dmakerparts.com/products/e3d-revo-micro-24v?variant=41406788763855

https://www.printedsolid.com/collections/hotends/products/e3d-revo-micro

https://www.fabreeko.com/products/e3d-revo-mini-24v?_pos=1&_sid=e372fb338&_ss=r

They are all Micros, but with a new build why not? I'm happy with mine. The V6 model is simply for backwards compatibility for upgrading an existing printer with a V6 in it. 

Just now, Pappy3831 said:

download files off of GitHub

Yah, Github is for a special breed of users... It's strangely archaic even though its at the forefront of cutting edge technology. It's by the same kind of people that will tell you to open the windows calculator with a Win-R command. 🙄