General Wiring Question

zohsix

Hello,

I'm through the build, loaded the software and firmware and all's good.  I've started to step through the initial test phase and ran into what I believe is a wiring issue with the VORON V2.4 XY ENDSTOP PCB.  There are four pins, a ground, X, Y, and Vin.  In the documentation it states that the Vin pin is not used with the micro-switches, only the X, Y and GND, and that the GND is "shared".

I created two ground wires to use one each in two separate connectors, and the X wire to one connector and the Y wire to the second connector.  Each connector has one of the shared ground wires and the X wire or Y wire.  When I plug both connectors into the Fysetc Spider board, neither show TRIGGERED when I do a QUERY_ENDSTOPS command.  If I plug in only one of the connectors into the appropriate spot, it works fine when the micro-switched is pressed.  It appears that sharing the single ground is the issue.

I'm a software person and have only a small amount of electrical knowledge so I need some help.  How would I wire two different connectors and share the ground pin?  It's not working as described above.

Thanks,

Dan

6 minutes ago, zohsix said:

OK.  In reality I only have one ground wire but I might change the wiring a bit.  I'll be back with you.

Oh I just remembered you: the "US-centric" self-sourced build with the sexy composite panels.. Glad to see your build is moving ahead. Did you end up going for the Clicky probe?

10 minutes ago, Simon2.4 said:

Ground is always common on these 'simple' electronics devices. Also avoid redundant grounds as this creates loops of conductors that behave like antennae and pick up radio interference more easily: know as a ground loop.

I removed a ground wire from one connector, and it now works.  THANK YOU!

• Haha 1

Just now, Simon2.4 said:

Oh I just remembered you: the "US-centric" self-sourced build with the sexy composite panels.. Glad to see your build is moving ahead. Did you end up going for the Clicky probe?

I did not.  I didn't want to get too far off the ranch initially.  One of my planned upgrades after I get things running.  I'm a software developer and have very little electronics background so I need a bit of help now and then.  Thanks.

Just now, zohsix said:

I did not.  I didn't want to get too far off the ranch initially.  One of my planned upgrades after I get things running.  I'm a software developer and have very little electronics background so I need a bit of help now and then.  Thanks.

When you start using the inductive probe for Quad_gantry_level be warned that it becomes less accurate when it warms up so edit you start gcode routine to only heat up the extruder when the QGL is complete. This will save you some headaches.

12 hours ago, Simon2.4 said:

When you start using the inductive probe for Quad_gantry_level be warned that it becomes less accurate when it warms up so edit you start gcode routine to only heat up the extruder when the QGL is complete. This will save you some headaches.

Good to know.  I should be there soon.  Thanks again.

Dan