Building in stages a beginners question

RoyDuggan

I am planning a build and like the sound of the simplicity of just ordering a kit, but after posting a few times asking for recommendations on kits a few members although being positive about kits  say they would source themselves if they were to do it again. I would also like to build in manageable stages so thinking that I will read through the build documents and just order the parts needed to get to a base level build- question is does this make sense? and what is a sensible first stage? I am also a bit concerned about not getting an overall balance of price/performance and going overboard in some areas ( and possibly all areas) to build something over the top for my needs (I really can’t fault my ender 3 - apart from bed size and speed - some of my larger projects have been getting to 24hrs+ territory 

• Like 1

I bought a kit from Formbot for both the 0.1 and 2.4 They're pretty good kits. They come with most of the recommended hardware from the source guide, including a machined aluminum build plate and many of the brands recommended by Voron. The only main problem I had was the XY hall effect sensor didn't work but other than that I can't complain. 

If you want to source the parts yourself in increments I think you should definitely start with the frame since that's the first thing you build

Edited by hopeinformer

Oh really from what i read most people say they would just order a kit next time rather than self source. It will cost more for self source and obviously it will take heaps longer to order and build. If you have lots of time and money go for it if you really want specific components. 

I think forbot is the best kit for the money, best get it directly from their website at formbot3d, worked out much cheaper for me than Aliexpress.

I ended going with a 350x350 Trident. I like the fact that it prints near the top so when i print ABS its at the hottest part of the chamber. I also want to add Eddie's IDEX mod once its a bit more refined and reviewed my Nero3D

• Like 1

I was happy with my Formbot kit. The only part I was not happy with is the inductive probe. All the rest goes from excellent to passable. If you are very patient and willing to pay extra, go ahead and self souce as this is the only way you are sure to get what you want. As picky as I can be for these things, I would buy a kit again.

This guy has built his own list of US suppliers:

5 minutes ago, Simon2.4 said:

I was happy with my Formbot kit. The only part I was not happy with is the inductive probe. All the rest goes from excellent to passable. If you are very patient and willing to pay extra, go ahead and self souce as this is the only way you are sure to get what you want. As picky as I can be for these things, I would buy a kit again.

I didn't even use the inductive probe I went straight to the klicky mod, seen too some pictures of the inductive probes melting when doing ABS printing. 

7 hours ago, GalvanicGlaze said:

Oh really from what i read most people say they would just order a kit next time rather than self source. It will cost more for self source and obviously it will take heaps longer to order and build. If you have lots of time and money go for it if you really want specific components. 

I might have misunderstood looking at the few posts I think it may have been more in the context of building a second after first having had a kit.... In any case in another post someone else reckoned on it taking 40 hours for ordering.... Seems like a lot of time..... So still a bit a quandary as to whether to own source or go for a kit at the moment I am siding towards the kit route.

I'm right in the middle of my self-sourced build right now. I started researching in late October, and ordered the first parts early November. For me the research and chasing parts was part of the fun. I also learned about the parts and the vendors supporting the community. I know I spent more than I could have just buying a kit, but I've gotten to understand each part and from that pick the one that balanced performance vs cost best for me. I also spread the spending out over a few months. Naturally, it was the frame that I ordered last, but I wanted the nice LDO colors and they are just now getting their Trident kits out; for me the wait was worth it.

If I were to build again I'd consider a kit. If I were, I'd almost certainly look a LDO first based on what Nero and Steve have seen in the kits they have looked at and built. There's a strong possibility I'll get a LDO V0.1 kit. But, I may just self-source on of the other tiny printer variants.  I plan an ERCF for the Trident eventually, and I'm definitely doing a kit for that--probably DFH though it sounds like KB-3D (or was it West 3D?) is putting one together soon.

• Like 2

The rails I went with the cheaper CNA ones from the sourcing guide, purchased from the CNA store. I thought about more expensive ones, but after Nero commenting the CNA ones are good enough these days I went with his expertise. I just cleaned and installed them into my build last night and while it's my first experience with linear rails, they certainly seem good enough.

For the controller I went with the Octopus board since that's the current preferred one and caught a sale on Aliexpress. I went with the Mandala Rose Works bed and don't regret that--the plate is very well made. For the hot end I did splurge and put a Revo Micro on pre-order.

I also made sure to get source guide or better stepper motors. The AB drives are sourcing guide Stepper Online while the Z and extruder motors are LDO.

A few other parts I made certain to get known parts from reputable vendors is the power supply (Meanwell), SSR and inductive probe (Omron), Keenovo heater, and Raindew 695 bearings. 

This is my first Voron build, so it remains to be seen how wise these part choices are. I did spend time reading here and on the Discord. I got on Nero and Steve's live streams and asked questions.

• Like 1

On 2/9/2022 at 12:18 AM, GalvanicGlaze said: ended going with a 350x350 Trident. I like the fact that it prints near the top so when i print ABS its at the hottest part of the chamber. I also want to add Eddie's IDEX mod once its a bit more refined and reviewed my Nero3D

Was there any other reason to go with Trident over the 2.4? I will look into the IDEX mod to understand more  thanks for the pointers

4 minutes ago, RoyDuggan said:

Was there any other reason to go with Trident over the 2.4? I will look into the IDEX mod to understand more  thanks for the pointers

Chamber temp at the top and IDEX are the two main reasons. Other small reasons would be that it already has the 12mm x rail (still to come out for the 2.4), slightly easier to build and better manual (until 2.4 get updated)

The 2.4v does look better and has the full z height opposed to the trident that has max 250mm.

15 hours ago, claudermilk said:

The rails I went with the cheaper CNA ones from the sourcing guide, purchased from the CNA store. I thought about more expensive ones, but after Nero commenting the CNA ones are good enough these days I went with his expertise. I just cleaned and installed them into my build last night and while it's my first experience with linear rails, they certainly seem good enough.

For the controller I went with the Octopus board since that's the current preferred one and caught a sale on Aliexpress. I went with the Mandala Rose Works bed and don't regret that--the plate is very well made. For the hot end I did splurge and put a Revo Micro on pre-order.

I also made sure to get source guide or better stepper motors. The AB drives are sourcing guide Stepper Online while the Z and extruder motors are LDO.

A few other parts I made certain to get known parts from reputable vendors is the power supply (Meanwell), SSR and inductive probe (Omron), Keenovo heater, and Raindew 695 bearings. 

This is my first Voron build, so it remains to be seen how wise these part choices are. I did spend time reading here and on the Discord. I got on Nero and Steve's live streams and asked questions.

Thanks for the suggestions helps with getting started.... I will checkout these parts I thought the rails would be a more important but perfectly happy to adjust to consensus view especially if it saves some cost. I see if I can hook into a live stream session . I find Discord almost impossible to navigate Again thanks for the time to help a novice....