Voron Build Tools Mega-List - 2024 Edition

Demosth

Well another to add to the list are the Knipex Plier wrench for inserting neodymium magnets into the printed parts. Saw this on Steve's builds and @Buurman re-enforced their use. So early Xmas present to me. Will certainly try them out when I get to installing the Voron Tap.

image.thumb.jpeg.1ae6fa730f245d291e02a8e243e25b37.jpeg

• Like 8

19 hours ago, smirk said:

Perhaps, we should hope he doesn't - he might retire on the proceeds and stop feeding our addiction.....

Bad (good?) news. In Steve's last stream this weekend he had some giveaways (thanks Polymaker & LDO!) Going to the description I saw he does have affiliate links set up now. Our wallets cry...

• Haha 2

• 1 month later...
On 12/11/2022 at 3:30 AM, mvdveer said:

Well another to add to the list are the Knipex Plier wrench for inserting neodymium magnets into the printed parts. Saw this on Steve's builds and @Buurman re-enforced their use. So early Xmas present to me. Will certainly try them out when I get to installing the Voron Tap.

Those Knipex tools are awesome.  Expensive, but worth it.  Buy once, cry once.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/11/2022 at 10:30 AM, mvdveer said:

I use the small almost daily. not just easy for pushing in pinned versions of bearings, but even use it for pushing in LED's in the SB mini, etc, because its so small and smooth, you are not damaging things easily.. I absolutely love it....

• Like 5

• Demosth changed the title to Voron Build Tools Mega-List - 2023 Edition
  • 1 month later...
On 2/24/2023 at 5:09 PM, Buurman said:

I use the small almost daily. not just easy for pushing in pinned versions of bearings, but even use it for pushing in LED's in the SB mini, etc, because its so small and smooth, you are not damaging things easily.. I absolutely love it....

I you bought just one, which size would you recommend ?

1 hour ago, mbunjes said:

I you bought just one, which size would you recommend ?

I guess a mid size, I now have two, the smallest one and the largest one, together they get every job done.

The larger is just very useful for putting pins into the pinned versions of the mounts, if you use those, I always do.

I guess the 150mm is a good middle ground, but for most things the mini is just fine.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Penatr8tor said:

@mvdveer

Awesome! Now you have two links that are labeled incorrectly LOL.

One for a stripper that's really a crimper and now the one above that says it's for a crimper but links to a stripper. 😁

I am going to blame age: See edit - Thanks @Penatr8tor

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Adding another tool. The Omnifixo third hand. Nero got one and showed it on this streams a couple of times. This is an awesome idea and works really well--the best third hands I've ever had. It's expensive compared to the typical cheap one you get everywhere, but IMHO worth it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

The Bosch Go Professional with push to run (or button) and adjustable mechanical clutch for torque has been one of my favourite tools for my build. And I use it on a whole bunch of other stuff too.

I saw Thomas Sanladerer using this in one of his videos. So I investigated and discovered they're available here in Australia. About $95 AUD. I have one of the small Xiaomi Drivers also, but not enough oomph for the build I don't think. 

It uses a usb to charge and the battery lasts for ages. I have it on the lowest torque setting and it's just the sweet spot for the small m3 screws. I hold the driver a bit loose too, which allows it to spin in my hand so lessening the torque more. (It has an electronic brake so stops quite fast) Want it tighter after the clutch disengages? Just manually turn the body and the driver is locked. The torque setting can also be locked to drill mode.

As mentioned, if you push down on the fastener, the tool will start. Alternatively there's a - very sensitive - button on the side. I find that when I pick up the driver it always bursts into life as I've bumped the button. Not a bad thing though.

It uses a magnetic hold for the hex bits instead of a mechanical grip, so if I use my hex drive 3 or 5mm drill bits to clean out holes, I need to withdraw slowly, as the bit will pull free of the device. There's the obligatory extension also for the bit set. (I actually use a Kinchrome bit set instead of the standard supplied one)

It's saved me a heap of time and discomfort. For example, the l-o-n-g 50mm m3 screws that reinforce the R8 tap, with their fine machine thread pitch would have taken forever to insert, with my hand probably cramping up. 

Lots of brand x variations out there, I'm sure, but I am happy I spent the $ on this one.

image.png.cc8ea80049a4128b71c7e41145c4fc18.png

• Like 3

• Demosth changed the title to Voron Build Tools Mega-List - 2024 Edition