ABS or ASA

Pappy3831

After a long hiatus from my build, mainly because my Ender 5 that I was printing my parts on crapped out, getting back to my build. As soon as my flsun v400 shows up. Has anybody printed parts using ASA?  I thought I saw somewhere about using it in a voron build. But I figured I’d best check with the people who know more than me. Also I was thinking of getting the raspberry pi touchscreen to put in place of the one that came with the kit. Again, anybody out there done that?

I printed all of my Switchwire conversion parts with Polymaker ASA.  It's not up and running yet but looks good I think.  I did have some warping on some of the bigger parts here and there but not on everything all the time if that sense.  I printed it using an Elegoo Neptune 3 Pro.

Switchwire Conversion.JPG

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, i printed many parts with fillamentum ASA. In a closed housing it printed the typical voron parts very well.

But it is sensitive to moisture, so it is a good idea to unload the filament unless you plan to print again within a week.

Fillamentum ABS is not so sensitive to moisture and ist too not complicated to print in a closed housing. Unfortunately, there are not many different colors for Fillamentum ABS.

Edited by Merlin64

On 5/13/2023 at 1:22 AM, Pappy3831 said:

Has anybody printed parts using ASA?

@Buurman only uses ASA and he has build his fare share of Voron's. I Mainly printed in e-Sun ABS+ as that is readily available here in Oz.

However, I have printed the non accent parts of my Voron 2.4 (350mm) in black ASA and that convinced me to switch to ASA in the future. 

ASA tends to warp less and prints easier than ABS.  Strength wise it is the same, heat resistant better with ASA (ABS- 81ºC vs. ASA- 95ºC), ASA is UV resistant where ABS is not.  ASA generally more expensive than ABS/ABS+

I have since switched to printing ASA, as it is now becoming more available here in OZ.

Thanks for all the input. Right now I’m using up the abs I originally bought for my voron. As long as I remember to check the settings on my flsun v400, specifically the z offset. As long as I have that set I’m able to print abs with no enclosure. It changes a little from day to day. I’m gonna give asa a try. Hopefully as time goes by they’ll come out with a broader color selection. Right now I can’t find the purple or lime green I’m using on my voron. 

• Like 1