Unable to print

golddustpeak

Question

I printed some parts a few days ago and today I attempted to print some more but I was unable to print them.

The heed moves the the first corner and hangs (no attempt at self leveling)

I first checked to see if the probe was working and it will show open and triggered as required.

I attempted a QGL with the same results.

I then checked my .cfg file and my Z remains at -4 where I originally set it Z hop is at 10

All other movement controls are good but it appears to me that I never get down from the Z 10 position.

Probe Accuracy  creates the same issue.

Any thoughts as to where I should go from here?

TNX

13 answers to this question

1 hour ago, golddustpeak said:

I printed some parts a few days ago and today I attempted to print some more but I was unable to print them.

The heed moves the the first corner and hangs (no attempt at self leveling)

I first checked to see if the probe was working and it will show open and triggered as required.

I attempted a QGL with the same results.

I then checked my .cfg file and my Z remains at -4 where I originally set it Z hop is at 10

All other movement controls are good but it appears to me that I never get down from the Z 10 position.

Probe Accuracy  creates the same issue.

Any thoughts as to where I should go from here?

TNX

Just to be clear, you did not change anything in your CFG ?
any feedback from clipper on the terminal?
after it hangs, can you home or does it need a restart

1 hour ago, Simon2.4 said:

Just to be clear, you did not change anything in your CFG ?
any feedback from clipper on the terminal?
after it hangs, can you home or does it need a restart

I did not touch the cfg. file other than to compare it to a "safe" file stored on my pc and that was after the problem.

No feedback given by clipper.

From the hung QGL position all movement controls seem to work properly.

6 minutes ago, golddustpeak said:

From the hung QGL position all movement controls seem to work properly.

Can you post your PRINT_START/ START_PRINT macro please - may be something in there. Also the line in the slicer GCode section that calls the start of the print.

image.thumb.png.b0cfe088082513981faed24e1aa42b12.png

15 hours ago, mvdveer said:

Can you post your PRINT_START/ START_PRINT macro please - may be something in there. Also the line in the slicer GCode section that calls the start of the print.

image.thumb.png.b0cfe088082513981faed24e1aa42b12.png

Not sure the issue is in the gcode as the QGL command causes the same problem.

Additionally I originally tried several files that had been previously printed and realized something was not right when they would not print either.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, claudermilk said:

I'll ask the dumb question and go all the way back to basics: First did you reboot? Next, will it home? If so, can you issue a QGL from the console?

Yes I've rebooted and restarted several times.

Yes it will home.

When Issuing a QGL command from the button or a QGL command it goes to the first corner and stops.

So I'm back at it again today.

All movement is good in X,Y, and Z directions.

When doing a QGL it moves to the first corner and stops about 7mm above the bed and the terminal shows a message that the probe is open.

I can place a piece of metal under the probe and QUERY_PROBE and it will show triggered.

I've also tried the Z Offset Adjustment steps and I cannot move down using the TESTZ Z=-1 command.

6 hours ago, golddustpeak said:

I can place a piece of metal under the probe and QUERY_PROBE and it will show triggered.

Could it be the probe connection/wiring? May be a faulty probe as well. I would most likely first check the wiring.

32 minutes ago, claudermilk said:

It's odd to me that it will home but fail the Z detection for QGL. Is the gantry badly racked?

There was no change made to the gantry between the last printing and this failure a few days later.

I'm at a loss of what has happened and am reluctant to fool around with software until I know what is up although I wonder about changing my z position_min from the -4 (in use) to say -3 or -2 to see if something funny is going on with the probe....

2 hours ago, claudermilk said:

It's odd to me that it will home but fail the Z detection for QGL. Is the gantry badly racked?

Not wanting to make changes without understand the problem I went back and measured the gantry as your comment made sense to me.

YOU WERE CORRECT !!! The gantry was out of alignment. I can't figure out how it happened but it did.

THANK YOU, THANK YOU THANK YOU !!!!

• Voron FTW! 2

I keep a small bubble level on the bench.  Whenever I have a period of time or have messed with the printer, I put it on all the rails of the gantry and at least rough level it on my own.  This gets it close enough to not trigger the failure where the probe triggers before it should which I think is what you were seeing.  

• Like 1