Anyone using a BTT Pi TFT43 V2.0?

ken226

I'm trying to design a Voron screen mount that fits between the front skirts, and BTT's dimensioned drawing sucks pretty bad.  The CAD model on their Github is a little more helpful, but is missing the entire screen and the metal threaded mounting bosses on the rear of the screen.

Mostly, all i'm lacking, (i think), is the distance between the front face of the glass screen and the rear face of the metal mounting bosses.  I used some dimensions from a Pi TFT50 display model that I found on GrabCad, but im not certain that it's the same as the 4.3" version.  on the Pi TFT50 it is 12.55mm.  Anyone happen to know what this is for the Pi TFT43 V2.0

image.thumb.png.536ceb2e14ae6a3025439d34636eb832.png

My intent is that the glass screen sit flush with the front face of the housing.  As it is, i have it modeled with the screen inlet opening set to 106mm wide x 67.5mm tall,  and the depth (to the screw hole bosses) set to 12.55mm.  If I have the dimensions correct, it the screen should fit with 1/4mm of clearance around the top, bottom and sides, and with the glass flush with the front face of the housing.

Something like this:

image.thumb.png.6139e69378ac451a8d6ddd680719819a.png

• 3 weeks later...

Did you finish this project?  I just ordered  the mentioned display and should have it in a few days.  Would love to use your design to mount it.  I cant seem to find any solution for the 43 version... Guess I should have look for the mounting options before ordering.  Anyway, I'd be happy to take any measurements once it arrives.  

Great job!

I can't find the Step files, so i can adjust  measures if required, are you happy to share it?

I do have many 4.3"  Sharewaves touchscreens, they are very good, similar to the BTT in measures, so maybe i can use one of them with your design?

Thanks a lot.

45 minutes ago, Manny said:

Great job!

I can't find the Step files, so i can adjust  measures if required, are you happy to share it?

I do have many 4.3"  Sharewaves touchscreens, they are very good, similar to the BTT in measures, so maybe i can use one of them with your design?

Thanks a lot.

Sure, no prob.

Give me 5 minutes and I'll have them added to the printables listing.

Edited by ken226

58 minutes ago, Manny said:

Great job!

Thanks a lot.

Funny you should mention that.  I have a version designed to fit the Waveshare 4.3" B version, already designed.  I'ts been printed, tested and is already in use.  So, if your using the usb/hdmi B version Waveshare,  this one should fit.  As you can see in the "makes",  I already have one in service:

Voron 2.4 housing for Waveshare 4.3" HDMI USB-Touch touchscreen, Version B by Ken226 | Download free STL model | Printables.com

The Waveshare had nearly identical width and height dimensions to the BTT, but was different in depth and had a different screw pattern.  I'll add the step files to the Waveshare version as well. 

image.png.80e188a5fa85312c474c74b1ef131360.png

It is also quite a bit different internally, as i had to make room for the 180 degree HDMi and USB adapters, and add some clearance for the side buttons.   On the Waveshare USB, i have the pi mounted remotely, and used some micro HDMI and USB extension cables attached to the 180 degree USB and HDMI adapters that came with the screen.

these are the adapters im talking about.  I ordered cheep extension cables from ebay.

Edited by ken226

18 minutes ago, Manny said:

I use the flat ribbon version directly connected to the PI, so I don't have to care about power plugs and other stuff, does it fit?

Here you have the picture...

96A81AB1-EAEA-4705-8F74-8F3D0DA2D901.jpeg

I downloaded the 3d .stp file for that Waveshare DSI dispay.  I'll modify the current HDMI version to work with this DSI version, and create a new listing for it on printables. 

The DSI version does appear to have different screw pattern dimensions than the HDMI version.

2 hours ago, Manny said:

I use the flat ribbon version directly connected to the PI, so I don't have to care about power plugs and other stuff, does it fit?

Here you have the picture...

96A81AB1-EAEA-4705-8F74-8F3D0DA2D901.jpeg

I used the CAD model from Waveshare and modified my Pi TFT43 version of the housing to fit the Waveshare DSI version.  My Pi TFT43 version was actually closer to a fit for this DSI screen than was my Waveshare HDMI version.

If you don't mind, after you print one, give me some feedback on fitment so i can fine tune the models to screen interface.  Hopefull the CAD model provided by Waveshare is accurate.  

You will need supports for the honeycomb pattern.  I got good results on my HDMI version using Prusa Slicers organic supports, set to 30*.

Something like this:

image.png.83f4b9af0ef2601a5ff435150ed883be.png

image.thumb.png.52771a770decbe67b056d47417eb6632.png

Here is a link to the model on Printables.

Waveshare 4.3" DSI touch screen housing for Voron by Ken226 | Download free STL model | Printables.com

Edited by ken226

Thanks a lot, i print it and give you a feedback, let's see how it fit, my printer has pretty tight tolerances, so i shouldn't have any problem.

PS. I use Orca Slicer, is a pretty good evolution of the Prusa one, have a look at it, is good!

Cheers.

• Like 1

Printed today and it turned out pretty good.  There are a couple thin spots on the bottom, but otherwise turned out nice.  The second image you can see the spot where it broke through.  I'll install and give you some feedback on the screen fitment next week.  Still waiting on it to arrive.  

PXL_20230407_010225883.jpg

PXL_20230407_010308532.jpg

16808297492508881778435184037822.jpg

Edited by Slushy_Trout
Added image
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, Slushy_Trout said:

Printed today and it turned out pretty good.  There are a couple thin spots on the bottom, but otherwise turned out nice.  The second image you can see the spot where it broke through.  I'll install and give you some feedback on the screen fitment next week.  Still waiting on it to arrive.  

PXL_20230407_010225883.jpg

16808297492508881778435184037822.jpg

Ok.  I made the changes.  Its now 1mm thicker in those spots.  The changes have been made to the model on Printables.

image.thumb.png.d99dd7cadef2a8ba8b1ee4d0a17fe12e.png

Edited by ken226

On 4/6/2023 at 6:08 PM, Slushy_Trout said:

I got my BTT Pi TFT43 installed in updated model.  It printed without any issues and screen fit.   It was a snug fit, and you have to slip the top into place first to get the backlight knob behind the top edge.  

image.thumb.png.aa58f697b3f5ec653e6882397118cbed.png

image.thumb.png.b284d290ce19c422815dbdbfe81066f8.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Slushy_Trout said:

Not sure how I would know if the touch is working.  Doesn't do anything when swiping or tapping.  I just see the below screen

PXL_20230412_041519312.jpg

Once you install Klipperscreen it should automatically boot to the klipperscreen interface.

Maybe install Kiauh,  then you can uninstall and re-install klipperscreen.

The instructions for installing kiauh are here:

https://github.com/th33xitus/kiauh

When Ive run into that issue in the past, it was because I had messed with the boot environment, running gnome desktop.

To get klipperscreen working, I had to uninstall, then re-install klipperscreen.  If I understand correctly, the klipperscreen re-install re-sets to boot environment to boot into klipperscreen when the pi starts.

Not sure what I'm doing wrong, but I'm uninstalled and installed KlipperScreen twice now.  My pi was setup only to run Mainsail and for use with a single V2.4.   Currently, I pulled the pi from my printer and have it hooked up to external hdmi screen to see if my BTT tft35 had an issue.  Same result.  Only seeing the command window.  

I pulled the log and it seems like I'm getting a failure somewhere.  I'm way over my head now.  I have no clue where to even begin. 

● KlipperScreen.service - KlipperScreen
     Loaded: loaded (/etc/systemd/system/KlipperScreen.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
     Active: activating (auto-restart) (Result: exit-code) since Wed 2023-04-12 13:02:08 CDT; 536ms ago
    Process: 4778 ExecStart=/home/pi/KlipperScreen/scripts/KlipperScreen-start.sh (code=exited, status=1/FAILU
   Main PID: 4778 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
        CPU: 112ms

Apr 12 13:02:09 mainsailos KlipperScreen-start.sh[4873]: (EE)
Apr 12 13:02:09 mainsailos KlipperScreen-start.sh[4873]: Fatal server error:
Apr 12 13:02:09 mainsailos KlipperScreen-start.sh[4873]: (EE) no screens found(EE)
Apr 12 13:02:09 mainsailos KlipperScreen-start.sh[4873]: Please consult the The X.Org Foundation support
Apr 12 13:02:09 mainsailos KlipperScreen-start.sh[4873]:          at http://wiki.x.org
Apr 12 13:02:09 mainsailos KlipperScreen-start.sh[4873]:  for help.
Apr 12 13:02:09 mainsailos KlipperScreen-start.sh[4873]: (EE) Please also check the log file at "/var/log/Xorg
Apr 12 13:02:09 mainsailos KlipperScreen-start.sh[4873]: (EE) Server terminated with error (1). Closing log fi
~

4 hours ago, Slushy_Trout said:

Not sure how I would know if the touch is working.  Doesn't do anything when swiping or tapping.  I just see the below screen

PXL_20230412_041519312.jpg

No, clearly Klipper screen is not installed properly or not working.

If you have the backup config files for the printer, i would reset everything and start from scratch, i've done it before, just save what you need, is a 40 minute job after but it worth it, otherwise you go mad chasing some ghost in the OS and i'm not sure you'll find it.

• Like 1

So display is on, but touch not working.  The Klipperscreen troubleshooting is worthless.  There is no fake kms driver to choose from.  I'm starting to think my software is too current for Klipperscreen.  Anyway! Back to the original thread.  

Ken, display looks great and has a very polished finish once installed.  The face of the screen is almost perfectly flush with your mount.  Great design!  Thanks for sharing!  

16813501308764172980539950801098.jpg

16813501652133127081027604426290.jpg

Log into your PI config.txt, if this option is enable, then copy and paste, or put the # in front of "start_x=1",  disable the service, this will bring your touch back to life.

## Enable VideoCore at boot, needed for Crowsnest (Raspicams and DSI devices).
#start_x=1

let us know how it went.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Slushy_Trout said:

So display is on, but touch not working.  The Klipperscreen troubleshooting is worthless.  There is no fake kms driver to choose from.  I'm starting to think my software is too current for Klipperscreen.  Anyway! Back to the original thread.  

Ken, display looks great and has a very polished finish once installed.  The face of the screen is almost perfectly flush with your mount.  Great design!  Thanks for sharing!  

16813501308764172980539950801098.jpg

16813501652133127081027604426290.jpg

Also, if you havn't already done this, 

SSH into your pi, then when the terminal boots up, run the command:

sudo raspi-config  

You'll probably have to enter your password,  then go to the interface options and make sure that SPI and I2C are enabled.

This step may not be required on your Pi, but it definitely is on mine.  Mine is a Raspberry Pi CM4 in a Waveshare Pi4B adapter board.  My touch won't work until I enable SPI and I2C.

And, because I have a CM4, i have to install the dt-blob.bin driver before the DSI  interface will work.  But, i think the dt-blob.bin is only required for the CM4. None of the other Raspberry Pi models need it.

Edited by ken226