Enraged Rabbit Project

mvdveer

Build Manual Pages 36 - 41 Bottom Block

Well this one was not without incident. The bottom blocks are secured by two Nylock nuts (I hate the stuff). The M5 Nuts fit in the gearbox and is locked with another M5 nut. First time around whilst tightening the nylock nuts - the block cracked. Trying to get a small spanner in there to hold the M5 is near impossible.

IMG_4002.thumb.jpeg.663e55df1270af2edd77b239bababfba.jpeg

Finally got it done - all parts fitting perfectly together.

IMG_4001.thumb.jpeg.84bdc88a81be889dcecae85e32a1148d.jpeg

Next - Selector

• Like 2

Build Manual Page 42 - 55 Selector

A couple of tips for this section:

1. If you are going to install the SAVOX servo, then you would need the SAVOX Adaptor.

2. Remember to black out the selector gear with a black felt pen or Matt  Black spray and then shine the edges of the gear with 2000grid sandpaper

IMG_4004.thumb.jpeg.0347c442775cb1b41fa5da04b2afd99a.jpeg

The end product:

IMG_4005.thumb.jpeg.5f2b39b4fe756873f11b0919b23906c0.jpeg          IMG_4006.thumb.jpeg.9d9f461acba0556d1bf5935d26b4bc7d.jpeg       IMG_4008.thumb.jpeg.1cebb62b40fc6c0708c0f5cba85c12f3.jpeg

Next --- Linear Axis

EDIT: Just realised the TRCT sensor board is mounted on an angle - will correct that

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Buurman said:

becaaaaauuuse??

I could  guess so you can count teeth movement easier, for the painfull calibration stage, or for some sort of optical counter mechanism.....but really I think he's just seeing if he can convince us to do the equivalent of going  and asking the science teacher for a long-stand or tartan paint

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Buurman said:

becaaaaauuuse?? 

The optical sensor has been know to play up due to the reflection of the gear. By blackening out the gear you improve the reliable and thus accuracy of the sensor.

This probably does a better job of describing it then I can.

"By blackening the gear troughs and polishing the top surfaces of the gears you are establishing a consistent set of surfaces for reflections. This method works well when the adjustment of the sensor is HIGHER than originally intended i.e. further away from gear. This is because if it is too close the plastic separator between the IR led and phototransistor will impede reflections."

• Like 1

17 hours ago, smirk said:

I could  guess so you can count teeth movement easier, for the painfull calibration stage, or for some sort of optical counter mechanism.....but really I think he's just seeing if he can convince us to do the equivalent of going  and asking the science teacher for a long-stand or tartan paint

Or like Rocket Raccoon asking for that leg... 😆

• Haha 3

Build Manual P56 - 63 Linear Rails:

The majority of the build is now complete. Some wiring to be done, then on to the Final Assembly. Then I believe the hard work starts - calibrating and programming this thing.

IMG_4043.thumb.jpeg.5a86d717e2783030df7d93d286c5844a.jpegIMG_4042.thumb.jpeg.12e9ad5c3e0ba51799a02fad9e5ea2b6.jpeg

• Like 4

On 3/16/2023 at 12:51 PM, mvdveer said:

2. Remember to black out the selector gear with a black felt pen or Matt  Black spray and then shine the edges of the gear with 2000grid sandpaper

fantastic build diary so far, don't you think the blackened flanks of the gear will loose the blackened when spinning a while?  After reading your stated

On 3/16/2023 at 10:32 PM, mvdveer said:

This probably does a better job of describing it then I can.

i saw a different way with blacking the tops of the gear leaving the inner teeth blank what would make more sense to me in the long term of usage.

1 hour ago, mvdveer said:

Then I believe the hard work starts - calibrating and programming this thing.

oh yeah fun is over now😎

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Wick said:

i saw a different way with blacking the tops of the gear leaving the inner teeth blank what would make more sense to me in the long term of usage.

Only time will tell, I am no expert - just enjoying the journey

45 minutes ago, Wick said:

oh yeah fun is over now

Don't tell me that!🤣

It's going to be weird having something so monochrome printing colours. ....unless it's just 6-shades of grey?

The diary has been great, so far, but I'm looking forward to the dialing in. That's going to be <cough> interesting. There's going to be a lot to learn I think. Bonne chance mon ami!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Buurman said:

For him.. YES, for us its just starting

Mmmmmmh. Maybe I should close this build diary now 🤔 Nah - it's still  going to be fun

• Haha 1

Build Manual Pagers 78 - 85 ERCF Easy Brd

Wiring done, crimping done and temporarily mounted on some extrusions (just to get the wire length) Unfortunately my servo wired were on the short side and this determined the position of mounting the ERCF. 

I am planning on mounting this on top of the Printer using the Top Handle mod. Waiting for the extrusions to arrive to mount on printer. IMG_4046.thumb.jpeg.a41d5d8e428d6737d52115e451d61406.jpeg      IMG_4045.thumb.jpeg.0dc12fcde75c081811dc9173458429f3.jpeg   IMG_4047.thumb.jpeg.9bc2cd4f60b6c9b483505285acb45c1d.jpeg

Next ERCF Easy Brd Software installation

• Like 1

Build manual Pages 88 -  91     ECRF on Klipper
Skipped this section in the manual and moved on to Happy Hare (ERCF Software V3)

Only confusion during the installation, was asked if the build included a selector bypass - I reread that section of the manual and couldn’t find any reference to it, so I said No - Lets see what happens.

The Happy Hare v3 software does it all for you - all the necessary config files are created and changes to klipper.cfg are made to include these. Be sure to comment out the client_macros.cfg file if you already have these macros, or comment out the existing ones. (Park, Cancel_Print, Resume and Pause)

Restarted clipper and ERCF mcu has loaded successfully.

image.thumb.png.e30422bdd59e03b567107cbca5220664.png

Next: First Checks.

Build manual Pages 92 First checks

Knew it went too well - Something up with the endstop - did not trigger. Went through the config files and seems during setup I answered yes to sensorless homing. Manually corrected this in the ercf_harware.cfg and ercf_vars.cfg files.
Tested and whaalaaa - it worked.

Stepper buzz command executed as expected for the gear stepper but threw an error with the selector stepper after first move.

"Unable to read tmc uart 'selector_stepper' register DRV_STATUS"

Changed stepper drivers - no difference
Thought it was dodgy crimping - checked - all sound and good

Checked motor wiring - pairs tested on multi meter and compared to board connection - all good

Checked config files - couldn't spot any issues

Conclusion - Must be a faulty Easy Board.
Will order a new one - build on hold - bummer!

To be continued.........................

6 hours ago, mvdveer said:

Flashed without incident.

You using a hand-model/stunt-double there or young child? Those don't looks like the hands of a gnarled old GOM! I'm not jealous in the least at the manual dexterity....no...not me.

• Haha 2

Whilst I am waiting for the new Easy Brd to arrive..........

Carrot Patch Manual Page 1-3 Carott Patch v1.1 assembly.

All parts printed and hardware set out for 4 patches. The other two will be printed hopefully tomorrow. (Cannot print through the night at the moment due to some illness in the house)

IMG_4048.thumb.jpeg.8712c435dd75344d75e6c30e45b5b8a1.jpeg

• Like 1

• mvdveer changed the title to Enraged Rabbit Project