Voron Trident 🔱

Killajoedotcom

5 minutes ago, Vojtěch Bubník said:

IMHO the cable mount on the print head should bend upwards. You will break your wires. The other end of the cable will not bend upwards, you should mount the X cable in reverse.

I'm trying really hard to figure out what your suggestion is.. Are you referring to this specific build or just the voron design. Perhaps you could add a drawing or something to support your opinion cause I can't figure out what you mean. 🤨 Do you mean the cable chain should curve upwards and be floating rather than resting on the extrusion?

1 hour ago, Simon2.4 said:

I'm trying really hard to figure out what your suggestion is.. Are you referring to this specific build or just the voron design. Perhaps you could add a drawing or something to support your opinion cause I can't figure out what you mean. 🤨 Do you mean the cable chain should curve upwards and be floating rather than resting on the extrusion?

I am refering to the extruder chain bending upwards as shown at the video that starts this thread.

Just now, Vojtěch Bubník said:

I am refering to the extruder chain bending upwards as shown at the video that starts this thread.

It is quite late, sorry. I suppose I meant the video at the start of the 2nd page, starting with the comment

"Started with small prints and getting pretty great results with no real tuning."

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Vojtěch Bubník said:

It is quite late, sorry. I suppose I meant the video at the start of the 2nd page, starting with the comment

"Started with small prints and getting pretty great results with no real tuning."

Oh ok I see. Checking on mine, the normal wire resistance does tent to try and lift the chain. The screws are holding it at the right angle. Not sure why this one points upwards like that

@Killajoedotcom any insight on why you chose to assemble your cable chain that way?

43 minutes ago, Simon2.4 said:

Oh ok I see. Checking on mine, the normal wire resistance does tent to try and lift the chain. The screws are holding it at the right angle. Not sure why this one points upwards like that

@Killajoedotcom any insight on why you chose to assemble your cable chain that way?

I mounted the cable chain per the manual. It may be due to the chain itself having some resistance to movement. It's just the way it is. 

I want to see if this is a manual error - or maybe an install error.

Based on the conversation, i looked into the Trident manual and on page 221 I see the following image:

242106020_ScreenShot2022-02-10at8_34_00AM.thumb.png.1fa9b51a52675d6dc18d4f7bf9963ab9.png

This image appears to show what @Vojtěch Bubník is describing. The image on the left is the cable chain attachment to the carriage and shows 3 screws, and it should be a solid, non rotating connection. While the image on the right shows the cable chain attached with a single M3x6 which would allow slight rotation of the cable chain from that point.

@Killajoedotcom can you confirm that your cable chain as posted in the video matches what is in the manual and referenced above?

If this is an issue with the manual, i would love to reach out to the dev team and see if additional information can be added, or made more clear.

It also could be that I am misunderstanding the entire thread!

> I don’t think the chain ends are any different

Don't know, it may be that yours have symmetrical ends.

> I could be reading the diagrams incorrectly

IMHO the diagrams are lacking.

> and different drag chains might be constructed in different ways.

That may be, however I have seen drag chains from multiple sources and all had asymmetric ends.

Just look at the video at the top of this page where the chain breaks upwards at the print head, while it should leave the print head horizontally. Half of the Voron builds are that way and the cables will break there. You may be fine if you print just one print a month.

• 2 weeks later...

Aha, you outed yourself! 😜 Killa_Prints on the streams. Congrats on the cereal, how long did it take? i'm hearing they are a bit backed up right now.

Looking back through the build I'm happy to see I am not the only one thinking to put some braided sleeve over the exposed wire bundles between drag chains and down the extrusion. I have 1/4" on right now, which is too big. Got 1/8" coming in today to swap out.

I also now understand what's going on with your X-axis drag chain, I ran into the same issue with mine. I have the generic sourcing guide chain from Aliexpress and the way the ends go on I didn't see a way to reverse them and still have the chain bend the right way. So, I have the locked end on the extrusion and the flexible end on the toolhead; BUT, I just put a dab of superglue in the toolhead end joint to make the end there a fixed end. Now it stays flat.

1 hour ago, claudermilk said:

Aha, you outed yourself! 😜 Killa_Prints on the streams. Congrats on the cereal, how long did it take? i'm hearing they are a bit backed up right now.

Looking back through the build I'm happy to see I am not the only one thinking to put some braided sleeve over the exposed wire bundles between drag chains and down the extrusion. I have 1/4" on right now, which is too big. Got 1/8" coming in today to swap out.

I also now understand what's going on with your X-axis drag chain, I ran into the same issue with mine. I have the generic sourcing guide chain from Aliexpress and the way the ends go on I didn't see a way to reverse them and still have the chain bend the right way. So, I have the locked end on the extrusion and the flexible end on the toolhead; BUT, I just put a dab of superglue in the toolhead end joint to make the end there a fixed end. Now it stays flat.

Oh yeah, try to catch most of the streams real time. Always watch afterwards if I miss it. 

Took almost two weeks to get a serial. I was just worried I missed a correction or something. Then, it just popped up in Reddit.