I think I fried the motherboard, or 24V power supply in my 2.4

Poisson

So I was in the process of installing a lgx lite and everything was going pretty well (actually that's a lie, a lot went wrong, but nothing related to what happened next). I have a 2 part hartk PCB and I decided to attach the front face of stealthburner while the printer was on (and while the extruder heater was on) and when the 2 PCBs connected klipper lost connection to the MCU and could not connect even after restarts.

The Pi seems to be fine and I can connect to klipper via the web.

Now when I turn on the printer lights on my motherboard, power supply, and SSRs all flash in unison:

https://i.imgur.com/rOOKc9x.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/xogVQsO.mp4

Is there anything I can try to do here? I'm assuming since all 3 things (24V power supply, octopus 1.1 board, and the SSRs) are flashing in unison here, it is more likely the 24V power supply?

Edited by Poisson

Well after I stopped panicking and thought a little about this, I disconnected power from the motherboard. Power supply light is a steady green. Hmm.

Reconnected motherboard power, disconnected main connector the the hartk PCB. Everything boots up fine (other than not being able to read the extruder thermistor and being angry).

So it seems I did something bad in the toolhead after all, or something in the PCB fried real good when I attached the stealthburner face.

• Sad 1

Merry Christmas! By the sound of it the tool-head PCB does sound like it's taken the brunt of that. I don't think there's any user replacement parts (e.g.fuses) on the tool head and the components are surface mount (so unless you're very dextrious then repair isn't an option even if you could fine the burnt out part).

WHen you've been trying with the toolhead PCB attached is that also with the smaller fan/led PCB attached (i.e. the front face)? If you have then it might be worth trying without the front face just in case that's the only fried bit. Bit of a long-shot,though.

• Like 2

Was this a 2040 chip based tool head board? I know there is a warning that you should disconnect the heater when power is applied as it applies power to the tool head heater uncontrolled. If this is what happened hopefully you've just nuked a thermistor and/or heater cartridge. Mcu might controller might be having a tanty about what the thermistor is saying.

So figuring out what was wrong wasn't too bad in the end. It seems there was a loose pin in the main connector. Recrimped that wire and everything is back in business.

It turns out that was the easy part, I spent of the rest of the day trying to make this exrtuder work right because I just couldn't get a smooth filament path with it, but I eventually divined it's secrets and it seems to be successfully printing.

https://i.imgur.com/NggRYUN.mp4

Edited by Poisson
  • Like 2